The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Plugging Along!


Ironman Chattanooga blow your horn
A second time Ironman Finisher is waiting to be born
Bike transport and airline tickets are paid in full
Miles are building and my body is getting strong like z bull
Another Ironman Gestation is growing inside my mind
19 more weeks and counting as I travel down the Tennessee Line
The historic CHOO hotel is waiting to welcome those who dare
To hop aboard this Chattanooga Adventure on a wing and a prayer
Ironman Gods of the South, I hope you are there to greet me in 133 days
Meet me in Transition and we can discuss the ways
There is no turning back once you put your engine in the right gear
Ready or not, no more time for fear
Plug ahead little engine, you know that you can
Stay focused, dig deep and you will become an Ironman!

Check out the Choo Choo Hotel:

http://www.choochoo.com/index.php





Check out the Chattanooga Choo Choo Song:
http://www.choochoo.com/ChattanoogaTN/song/?dest=64


Training is becoming more focused and my body is starting to respond.  I am learning to have more specific goals during workouts and occupy my mind with games, drills and technique instead of just going long.  I started using my new power meter this week and my bike coach provided some baseline zones to get started.  I had another amazing climb up Mt. Lemmon with a friend that GABA (Greater AZ Bike Association) sponsored.  I highly recommend this event when you have the opportunity to have sag support and amazing well stocked rest stops with PIE on top!  Long workouts are building and learning how to change gears on the bike and the run.  I am so looking forward to the next phase of training and a very exciting schedule ahead which includes:
 
  • Training Weekends/Get Aways (Prescott, Showlow, Flagstaff, CA):  In AZ, we need to get up very early to beat the heat or get out of town!
  • Boulder 70.3 Week and Girl's Trip (love that I can finally go on a girl's trip)
 
  • California Training Camp (I call our summer get away, CA training camp as I join my husband in CA and just focus on training)
  • June Lake Olympic Triathlon (outside of Yosemite known as the Toughest Race in the Most Beautiful Place)
  • Mountain Man Long Course, Flagstaff AZ
  • Chattanooga CHOO CHOO





No comments:

Post a Comment