The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Monday, May 26, 2014

FREEDOM

Today is a day to show our appreciation for those who have served us to maintain the rights that have been earned throughout history.  Freedom is the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

It got me thinking about how thankful that I am that I can TRI.  I live in a place where I am free to go outside and find a body of water to swim in, take a ride on 2 wheels on many roads that have a shoulder big enough to share with a car, or throw on a pair of running shoes and travel by foot for miles any where in the USA.  

This weekend was a big training weekend in Prescott, AZ and the feelings of pushing my limits through discomfort and pain is actually a freedom protected by people who have sacrificed their own lives to protect mine.  I imagined what it was like for people who have physically and emotionally suffered perhaps to prevail and return home or at the cost of their own lives to protect our basic human rights.  As I pushed through some tough workouts this weekend, I tried to draw from the strength of people who have suffered to make my life possible to help me through difficult moments. 

Photo: En route to Skull Valley!!
 A triathlete can't think of a better way to honor those who have served us by dedicating their training to them.  I arrived in Prescott on Friday night to spend a weekend training in cooler weather and altitude to get ready for my upcoming 70.3 event in Boulder.  Saturday morning I went on a 6 mile run to try and get used to the altitude.  I forgot that it is cooler in the mornings and was not very prepared for numb fingers.  On Sunday, we had planned out a popular scenic route, contacted some locals, and had some extra people along to provide support.   
 Bike Prescott (I even got the jersey!)
Bike Prescott was generous enough to switch their usually Saturday ride to Sunday so they could join us on the Skull Valley Loop. 
 Bike Prescott's photo.
They were so gracious and welcoming and helped keep us all safe along with our Super Sherpas who drove the loop and provided Sag Support.  The loop is a 53 mile ride with over 4000 feet of climbing.  My love for triathlon and each sport continues to grow as I meet more and more people who share the passion.   I started off feeling decent, but quickly could see my legs were not full of energy on the first climb.  At our first regrouping spot, I had a surge of energy on the downhill and improved roads into Skull Valley.  My legs started screaming louder on the invisible hill to Wilhoit before you get to the actual climb up 89 back into Prescott.  I was so happy to see our SAG wagon and had thoughts of being picked up, however, it was Memorial Day Weekend and I felt I owed it to our soldiers to be strong, so I survived 1 hill at a time.  When I just about reached the summit on the final climb, I had the double adductor cramping begin (the insides of my thighs were in spasm).  It is hard enough when one leg cramps as you can spin the other, but both legs is a killer.  I had to suck it up for the last mile or two and coast and spin back to the parking lot.  Most of all, I was just happy to be out there on such a beautiful ride with other bike lovers.

Photo
 We celebrated our ride with a cookout and more tri talk.  The next morning I was attempting a 3 hour run (only because I am at turtle pace and it takes me that long to fit 15 miles in).  I went out an hour before my friends, because of my speed and my dislike of heat which was a good call because although it was cooler than Phoenix the trail was open to the sun.  I maintained my slow speed, but it got progressively more difficult to keep moving forward and in my mind, I really had to try and relate to suffering that others have endured.  When I reached 15 miles I still had a little longer to get back to the house and I stumbled the last half mile home with cramping and more spasming in my legs and feet.  I was happy to be done and just lay on the floor until I could muster up the strength to take my drenched clothes off my chafed up skin and hop into the shower.

It did seem a bit like a painfest this weekend, but it was done in great company, perfect weather and with great people.  Now I am back in my own bed feeling thankful again that I am free to experience all the liberties that I have.  There is always some frustration when your body does not want to do what you tell it to do, but them you have to look again and be thankful for what it did do.

No comments:

Post a Comment