The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

ENTRY to ESSAY CONTEST for YUR1


WHY YOU ARE ONE?
I decided to write an essay on “WHY I AM ONE?”, not to win a free entry to a 70.3 race because last year I did win an entry (which reminds me, I need to cash in on that) by dressing in team colors and acting a little crazy in front of a group of triathletes that I had only known for only a few months. I don't think a triathlete should be entitled to win more then ONE 70.3, although I have won one free entry after another just for showing up and being the LUCKY ONE! If you think I am deserving, I would defer my entry to another ONE as I think everyONE should have the opportunity to win at least ONEce. I am writing this essay to answer the question because you asked.

What is really lucky is that I found ONE Multisport after falling in love with triathlons a number of years ago. It was love at first sight (or love at first race). I fell in love with more then the sport, but the people and the community. It is a contagious sport that once you are exposed, you risk it comsuming a big part of your life. Prior to finding ONE, I joined another group, trained, and completed my first Ironman in 2012. There are a lot of stressors involved in preparing for a 140.6 miles race and after I achieved my goal, I needed to take a break. With a void to fill, I had to find another way to keep the love going without the cost of time, money, and travel that my family and I sacrificed during my freshman year Class of 2012 AZ Ironman.

During my training in 2012, I started seeing Orange Jerseys pop up on my bike rides near my house and at the local races. I learned the orange ligthening strikes whooshing by me were from my “HOOD” and belong to a club open to every ONE. When I found out I could join for 80 dollars for the whole year I got over my fear of not being fast and furious and signed up. I got my road ID, team shirt, and started going to meetings and winning lots of cool prizes....mainly race entries. I wanted to slack off on my racing, but I kept winning free entries. I wondered when someONE was going to catch on and stop me from winning more free entries.

I felt pretty special to be “sponsored” by such a big club being a middle of the pack or closer to the back age grouper. I got so much more then I bargained for as I was just searching for casual group workouts without paid coaching and triathletes to network with, but the perks keep coming. I love meeting more and more triathletes at meetings, ONE Master's Swim, Open Water Swim, Bike Rides and Races. I love talking triathlon and belonging to the “Ironman Club”. We get each other. I love talking to new athletes who want to take up the sport. Most people that choose this lifestyle have a story to share. I feel good when I am with my people. If I am sad and blue, I always feel better after attending a ONE event. Talking triathlon feels almost as energizing as doing it. I love that the group does community service paying it forward and backwards. I love the support and the positivity of a group that is there for you when you want them to be and even sometimes when you want to be left alone. 300 people is a lot of friends to acquire. I am a rich triathlete in every sense of the word.

I always wondered what I was going to do when I grew old. Would I join bridge club, travel club or a movie club, where would I fit in? And now I know, I will belong to a triathlon club and just keep tri-ing. I envision growing old with my fellow triathletes. There will be potlucks, swim, bike and runs, road trips, and meetings galore. I will leave this world happy knowing that I tri-ed!

It takes a Village to Raise a Triathlete. ONE is my village. Triathletes that will stand by your side, offer you assistance and encouragement as needed, pick you up when you are down, make sure you are safe, cheer for you when you race, support you through injuries and illnesses, celebrate your accomplishments, lend an needed ear, share information, make recommendations, provide love, hugs and good cheer. IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO SEE ONE AND EVEN NICER TO BE ONE! Xo, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment