The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Tired Turtle is put to the Test

What is Ironman?  Is it a class that lasts for 12 months with a new lesson each day.  One day builds on the next and many of the lessons are taught over and over until the messages stick.  The final exam takes place on race day.  Today was quite a class!  After last weeks long ride which was more of a hill training ride, I declared that I would have preferred to do some hill training before attempting the climb to the Towers at South Mountain, but in the end I felt stronger this week, so I could see the benefit of climbing a hill on a bike.  I am even starting to reap the benefits of training with a group and having a coach.  So, I decide to join in on the scenic bike course today at Canyon Lake in Apache Junction.  Driving in the dark is just more practice for race day to get to the start.  The last 20 minutes the road narrowed and suddenly the turtle finds herself on a windy road leading into a beautiful canyon at the base of which is a lake.  I started thinking that last weeks ride now seemed reasonable and the fear factor just doubled in size.  I had to talk myself off the cliff and trust my coach.  Why would she invite me out here to climb even steeper longer hills.  I started believing this initiation is not about the physical, but how much of the mental strength I could find to reach the top of this hill for that is what I will need on race day.  When my coach passed me in the bright yellow truck, I yelled to her that I would thank her for this when I finished the Ironman (and she yelled back, "yes, you will").  Not only were the climbs long and steep, but the upward side had a head wind stronger than I had ever felt.  I was wondering why my bike did not feel like it was really moving.  Then I thought this ride was about separating the pansies from the petunias.  Was I going to be a pansy and quit or was a going to battle it out and push through the wind, heavy legs, and mental war going on in my head.  This was a 3 hour ride and I would possibly be moving for 14 more hours on race day.  Ok, I decided....this is war.  I will not defeat myself, I will join forces and attack!  So it was very exciting to get to the top the first time, but I did not realize how steep the climb was until the downhill side started and the truth is the sorest part of my body is my arms and wrists from holding onto my bars and breaks for dear life.  The return trip was fast and furious not to mention frightening!  Not too thrilled about only being half way down and having to to the trek one more time, I turned around and headed up the pass for my second round thinking it would be easier the second time.  I was short of reaching the top on trip 2 by a mile or so because my coach has us ride by time, not distance, but I was able to complete the steepest, longest section.  I was almost home free with about 2 miles left to go and I got a flat.  Luckily my coach embraced the moment and did a tire changing clinic on the scene.  She had some great tips like using an empty gel pack on the inside of the tube at the puncture site and use a CO2 cartridge.  I will never use a hand pump again except for last resort of course.  You should always have a plan a, b, and c!

So this turtle feels tested and tired, but plans to show up for class again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo sister...way to be strong. Man you are going to have thighs of steel from all this hill climbing.

    ReplyDelete