The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Coach Knows Best

This week I feel as though I have regressed back into my teen years where I feel a bit rebellious though I am seeking guidance, comfort and support from a greater power, my head master.  (I am all too familiar with this now as a mother of a tween). How contradictory, right!  My coach/mother figure tells me what to do and I roll my eyes not believing that she knows what she is talking about and that she knows what is best for me. 

But remember, a mother is always right.  You just have to have a little faith and so must a coach always be right.  So even though you don’t believe everything she says, in the end, she knows what she is talking about or at least she has a way of making you feel better.  Your pain will go away.  You will learn more efficient techniques.  You will peak at the right time and as she reminded me, You will be loving her when you cross the finish line and You are an Ironman!

When you have the impulse to go run a marathon before you are ready or push a little harder on your bike ride, remember coach knows best.  When she tells you to hydrate, take electrolytes, stretch, eat right, and go to bed early, remember coach knows best.  When you can’t get out of bed and you want to hit the snooze button, remember coach knows best.

If the teen in you rebels and takes over, remember to be brave and admit that you were wrong.  Sometimes teens have to learn the hard way from experience and failure.  Then again, remember you hired a coach because you decided that you wanted the motherly love, discipline, and guidance to help make you an Ironman.  Be open to letting her teach you the best strategies to adapt to the circumstances and events that will occur on your big day.

Now Back to the Future…….or back to training and don’t forget to listen to your coach.

1 comment:

  1. Words of Wisdom...I am supposed to be doing lots of Z1-2 running right now...so boring going super slow but my coach keeps telling me it will pay off in the end. So I keep running slow....imagining that I am actually running fast :-)

    ReplyDelete