The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Monday, February 20, 2012

9 Months and Counting, Time sure flies when you are on the run!

When you are training for Ironman, you wish you could slow the clock down.  The first month of training has gone by so quickly and I can only wish for more time, wondering if taking this task on in a year's time might have been a stretch.  My husband and I were watching the "Leadville 100" and they interviewed a panel of riders who talked about the moments of doubt and the athlete's remarkable ability to push past that and push on to the end.  Most athlete's can reach into their soul and travel to a place deep inside to overcome the challenges presented along the way.  In that race you have 12 hours to reach the finish.  Then we watched the documentary called "Ride the Divide", where 15 riders took on the challenge to ride on trails from Banff Canada 2700 miles across the Continental Divide to Mexico.  Only 5 finished.  You can learn a lot by studying other people's journeys.  You can even train for how your mind and body will react to change to some degree to prepare for events that may occur on the route.  The facts are that sometimes there are things that will occur that are beyond your control and you do the best you can in that moment and you deal with the levels of the mind and trying to keep it on the path to reach the goal you originally set which was to finish.  It is all about preparing for that moment.

This week was a good one and the training effects are starting to add up.  I compare it to those that have summited the largest peaks in the world.  They spend a lot of time at the different base camps learning and preparing for the climb.  I would say that I am still at Base Camp 1, but each day the workouts add up to produce more strength and stamina.  The weeks seem to start off slow and focus on strength and speed and then pick up in intensity and endurance over the last 3 days.  You are counting down the miles to get to your rest day.  Friday was a good swim workout and a 3 mile run, Saturday was a 2 hour bike ride, and Sunday was a 6 mile run and an hour swim workout.  I think the Sunday long runs are going to be hard, but I settle into them as I realize it is practice running on tired legs.  This week was my down week on the periodization cycle, so more time and distance will build up again in the next 2 weeks.

I had my eye on a faster swim lane, but you really need to watch what you wish for as I got placed into a fast lane which relieved me of working on technique, but challenged my aerobic and anaerobic capacity.  I was now at the back of the lane instead of front, but in the end, the challenging workout is what makes you both physically and mentally stronger.  So just when I thought the swim workout was going to be an easy taper to a busy week, I was pushed just a little more.  This is what it is all about, pushing yourself, just a little more!

Bonus activities included a flat tire clinic before the bike ride on Saturday.  I find this to be one of the hardest skills, but another one to practice in the event your are victim of the single or double flat on race day.  One of my weakest muscle groups are in my hands and fingers.....so guess what.....add one more thing to work on to the "list".

I also made an attempt to test drive some XS bikes at a different TRI shop and it did not go so well.  The fitter took one look at me and said I needed to go custom.  They were busy in the shop and catering to the more elite rider and after waiting around for almost 3 hours to get more help, I was pretty much pushed out of the shop.  I never did get a test ride in.  Frustrated and dismayed trying to get the right answers, I reached out to a local expert who has a background in fitting and coaching all levels of cyclists as well as working together with his wife who is a PT and a pro triathlete and he has fitted many short riders.  We talked for an hour and I agreed that he would be the one to help me find the right bike.  There are a lot of fitters in town, but most shops and fitters really do not know the best way to help me (as most short women are riding the wrong size bike in my opinon).  They start by taking a few measurements and then they just don't have the time, interest or knowledge to help someone that does not fit on the average frame.  So, now that I have provoked 3 or 4 bike shops to find me the right bike, I decided to bite the bullet and pay a professional with expertise in this arena, not to mention working very closely with a PT helps my mindset since I share that background.

I am thankful for coaches, for my little purple bike (who is now nicknamed 'Camele'  short for 'Purple Cameleon' as my coash said it should have a human name), and all my teammies that support each other and share in the hard work. 

Ride on!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I am looking forward to reading your future posts. Getting the right bike with teh right fit is probably the best thing you can do outside of training to make this a positive experience. See you in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting....smart idea to get professional help on the bike front. I think it'll be worth it on race day for sure to be on a comfortable well fitted bike. I'm only just starting to apprecate the mental side of all this training,,,and having a coach makes me so much more accountable so I don't skip workouts. I'm eager to see your new bike....make sure you post a picture of it on your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete