The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting Stronger

All these workouts must have some purpose.  The workouts don't get easier, but I am moving a little faster and better than I was a month ago.  The 1 legged pedaling drills and mighty hills are making me stronger on my bike.  The redundant rotational, side glides, and long pulls in the water have made it hard for me to coordinate my breathing, but when I am in the water with my teammates, I push myself harder.  When I am running on the track and behind everyone else, I try harder to close the gap.  The weight training and balance activities and stretching seem to be getting me through the runs, but I don't feel any closer to being able to run in a race yet.  As everyone else particpates in half and full marathons around me, I know for sure my next marathon will probabably be after I swim 2.4 miles and bike 111 miles in November!

Speaking of races, the first triathlon is coming up since signing up for IM.  The last one I did was in November.  It will be interesting to see how everything unfolds in 8 weeks when I do an Olympic Distance in the Tempe Town Lake  at the Marquee Triathlon (practice on IM course, home advantage, yeah...turtle needs all the home advantage she can get!).  I was signed up for the half but I am switching to Olympic while my coach is focusing on technique and not distance.

The only thing I have not been ready to face is my weight.  I need to get to a lighter racing weight and all I have felt lately is hunger.  So, I need to bite the bullet and get the nutrition under control.  How many things can one change at a time....so hopefully now that I am in the routine of the Racelab workouts, I will keep my food log as my coach asked of me so she can advise me.

The other question is how hard do you push?  When your body starts to break down, do you push forward or do you give it rest?  Today was especially hard to get up out of bed and I finally did and had some leeway to start my bike ride around 8 am and it ended up being strong, but I have a bit of a sore throat.  Part of me thinks these are opportunities to train under adversity, but the other part of me knows sometimes if you push too hard, you lose more time in the end.  It is all a balancing act.  Now I have a coach to consult with instead of battling with my conscience, I can battle with her (or follow her orders, as Coach knows Best!).

Lastly, the bike search is still on.  I was a bit discouraged after letting several people take measurements and try to steer me in the right direction.  My friend and I made a spreadsheet of most of the available XS tri bikes out there and we are in the process of comparing them.  Besides finding the best fit, the other problem is actually finding bikes to actually ride and try out.  Most shops in AZ, do not keep XS frames in their store, so I started checking in California and a trip to visit my ulracyclist brother is possibility.  In the meantime, I have found a few bikes locally including Cervelo P1 and P2, Cannondale Slice 105, and possibly a Kestral 4000 to try out.  Tomorrow will be a bike fashion show for me to test drive a few.  The only XS Felts (which I really want to try) are in San Diego.  I also learned the Trek Truck is coming through in March and would have an XS Speed Concept on it.  So let's hope by the end of March, I am training in the aero position.  In the meantime, the Purple Cameleon is making me work hard and I will only be stronger for it.

That is the mid week update.  This weekend is an easier weekend which seems like good timing as my body is starting to break down.  More turtle tales to come soon at a blogspot near you!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo...all those lovely bike choices. I can see how it could be frustrating not being able to try them in your size. Hoping you find something that you love soon.

    ReplyDelete