The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Battling the Elements: Guest Speaker

This weekend many endurance athletes around the Western United States experienced harsher conditions then the temperate climates that we are accustomed to for their weekend training workouts and races.  Battling with the elements requires first: showing up and second: having a plan.  Are you prepared for these conditions or whatever may be on race day?  My husband Dennis earned a guest spot on my blog this week and here is his experience.

ALPINE CHALLENGE 2014 by Dennis Kozura:

Due to a twist of fate and a suggestion by Beth's brother Greg, the ride this week, on the Road to the Everest Stage Race, was the Alpine Challenge 100 Mile Mount Laguna Course. The week proceeding the event was roller coaster due to the severe weather projections and alerts provided describing cold temperatures with heavy rains and high winds with gusts to 40 to 60 mph for Saturday. I got all packed and finally made the decision at 2 PM Friday to chance it. 

The drive to San Diego was unlike most.  The wind was blowing the truck all around.  And the road was being covered with all sorts the material. When going by the sand dunes, the road was covered with a moving carpet of blowing sand, like with a snow storm, at times making it difficult to see that there was a road beneath.   I mention this because I was starting to think would weather win and was the event to be or not to be.

But, the next morning was reasonably clear with moderate temps, at least where I was staying. So Greg and I prepared for the adventure and headed to the start.  I put on a number of layers, including packing a rain jacket, but really thinking that I might be over dressed like I usually do. As it turned out, this was one of best decisions I made, but would not know it the for a few hours.

When we arrived there was quite a turn out, some doing the 100 Mile Mount Laguna Course, plus other events.  We registered and set out. Did I mention this was a climbing event? Over the first 48 miles, there was 7000 ft of climbing of the 10,000 ft total.

Climbing up the 1st half really went well. I applied, the Jeff Lockwood teachings, worked on energy management to support the whole endurance ride, and related, kept a high cadence up the 5-10% grades. There was also a tail wind with high gusts coming from the West, which was helpful at times. If you were not going directly west, you needed to really hang on, because the crosswinds wanted to toss you around a bit.

The climbing was part one of the adventure. The part two was the severe cold, snow and hail at the top of Mount Laguna. Coming out of the town of Pine Valley, there was a 12 mile climb, then a 4 mile decent to the turn around.  The climb ended at the town of Mount Laguna at a country store.  With the in-climate weather starting about 3 miles from the top, I put my rain gear on to break some of the wind and snow, but the hands started to go south and my body was starting to shiver.

When I got to the general store, there was a few cyclist already there.  They were saying  the conditions were not so good for the first couple of miles of the descent to the turn around.  They were in the store buying more clothes and heavy gloves. The store clerks were having fun creating designer garbage bags to wear with v- necks and everything. Everyone was concerned about the return down the mountian, knowing  the tailwind would be brutally cold as a headwind. I stayed in the store and un-thawed, I thought.

When I left the store, in a quick, un-educated, not completely thought through decision, I proceeded down to the turn around.  This was the longest coldest ride of my years. Yes just 3 miles... When I got to the turn around, the Sag support had running Vans with heat going. With my shivering so bad, I jumped into the drivers seat and stayed for about 45 minutes with the heat blasting on my hands and face.  Since others were also needing the aide the heat was providing, I had to get out. Talking with Sag support, I said I would ride a couple of miles and see how it went and possibly return for a ride back. But, as it turned out the next 3 miles was a 4-7% grade up, which was enough to get me comfortable again.

My single focus now was to get to a lower elevation were it might be warmer.  The next few miles off the top was into a head wind with snow and sleet, and yes some hail pummeling my exposed face. Lucky the rain gear was working perfectly to not let the elements get to the core.

As I mentioned, the 1st half got you about 7000 ft of climbing, now there was still another 3000 to get you "down". The additional climbing, the wind and powerful gusts made this part three of the adventure.  After I got out of the snow, this part was more a mental test.  Who would win... I just stayed CALM.  Those that have worked with Lockwood, know this mantra and technique.  Though my mind drafted from time to time, the rough patches were minimal keeping CALM.

So this day was absolutely, as Scott Sherman would say, Epic...  It had a little of everything with no fluff. It was a test of mind, body against nature. You don't really win against nature as the saying would might suggest, but you do test yourself. Writing this hours later, (under multiple warm blankets), I look back and feel good I was able to pass this test on the journey to Everest.

Thanks Greg for planting the idea and and not letting a little wind, snow, rain... stop us from going out the door (This was actually the first test of the day)

TURTLE TAKE:  Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zone to prepare for success.  Should we overcome our fear of the elements or fear itself?  Of course we are faced with decisions every minute we tri, most of them unconscious reactions as we adjust our body and mind to our environment.  There may come a moment when safety must trump desire, and some of us are willing to put their foot a little closer to the edge then others.  Other times it may become necessary for an outside voice of reason to intervene and take us out of harms way when we are unable to make that decision for ourselves.  This weekend, I chose to train in some of those elements and my husband chose to start and finish a ride in extreme conditions.  For myself, the threat of rain and wind was an opportunity to gain experience for the unknowns of race day while Dennis had to battle the elements on EVENT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment