The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Swimmer Never Wins!


Today was the beginning of the spring triathlon season in Arizona.  Lifetime Fitness has a triathlon series and today was the kick off with 3 original distance courses.  For some reason the months of February and March are overlooked as the ideal season for triathlon and we start right as the heat moves in.  The water temperature increased 10 degrees in a week due to AZ not having the luxury of a gradual acclimatization to the heat.  We usually skip from 70 right into the 90s and 100s for our highs.  Most of us have not trained in the heat yet, but come on Mr. Heat Miser, bring it on for race day, it is almost a guarantee.  Luckily the morning stayed a little bit cool and the water was wetsuit legal.  For those doing the longer course, the heat was less kind as the day went on.  There was a nice breeze to help with cooling, but hot is hot in the end.

I was happy that this year, I chose to start with an Olympic Distance called the Marquee.  It was not a standard course with a 28 mile bike ride (3 longer than most Olympic events).  I felt good about each event, but was not certain how combining them was going to go.  The long course event went off first.  Although I was tempted by it, I was able to stick with the little voice of reason inside my head and kick off my season with the shorter distance.  It had been a while since I have tri-ed.  It was fun to get back into the spirit talking triathlon with old and new friends.

I was expecting this course to take me about 3 hrs and 15 minutes with the extra miles.  I know I was not in top form, but I was ready to see what my body had in it.  I started pushing myself a little more in training this week which went downhill as I was not feeling well on Friday and I forced myself to REST all day Friday after cutting my run in half.

After 2 practice swims this week, I was ready to have at it.  I forced myself to move up a lane at swim practice and was thankful I practiced at our 2 local open water events.  I really wanted to get my swim back and despite having poor visibility with a leaky eyepiece on my goggles, I managed to finish the 1500 meter swim 1st in my age group and 15th out of all the women.  It is important to me to get a head start from all the other people who are stronger on the bike and especially "the runners".  When I jumped in the water, I could feel my goggles were leaking, but I decided I did not want to remove the seal and make it worse.  I am getting braver and starting in the front of the swim which is nice as you don't have to get around as many people.  I could not really see to get around people any way.  I just went on blind faith because I could not see when I turned to my dominant side and then visibility started returning on the non dominant side and especially when we turned out of the sun.  Who needs HIPPO glasses when you can just fill your own goggles up with water.  It obviously did not take a toll, because you just have to suck it up and GO.  No time to stop and figure it out.  I knew the general direction, game on because nobody is going to take my moment away if I can help it.  I still enjoy playing the passing game and seeing how many different color caps I can pass.

Ok, ok, now that I got my bragging out of the way......keep in mind, THE SWIMMER NEVER WINS!  But we can try and hold the crowd off and enjoy the lead for a while.  The bike went smoothly after I worked on the swim fatigue from my legs in the first several miles.  The course was a little windy and I was able to stay focused and use the strategies I have been working on the past month with my bike coach.  I always "practice" even when I am in a race.  I managed to recoup my speed from previous seasons which has taken me a lot of weeks to get back to where I was averaging 17.85 overall on the bike today.

I was happy to finish strong and make it safely back to transition and switch to running gear using my new tri XTENEX laces (WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND).  I felt ok, no nausea, no cramping.....  There were some moments I felt stronger than others.  My motto for this race which I knew would turn hot was to "RUN THE RUN".  I managed to do that, but it was at a slow turtle pace.  I am usually thrilled to be running and not walking when heat strikes.  I cannot figure out how the RUNNERS maintain a good pace and pass up the hard working swimmers and cyclists.  It is something I struggle with at every triathlon.  Today I asked myself why do I try.  Maybe I should really consider Aquathon and just SKIP THE RUN!

Overall, I felt good.  I was able to push a little bit on the swim and the bike and maintain a slow steady pace on the run.  I ate very light today taking into considerations some recommendations from Brooke Schohl, endurance nutrition expert.  I ate 1 slice of toast with peanut butter and large glass of Emergen C 3 hours prior to race and a bonk bite and large bottle of skratch and some extra salt 1 hour prior.  I drank 1 bottle of Skratch on bike and ate a few chews.  I took 2 salt tabs in beginning and middle of run and grabbed 2 glasses of water and 1 cup of ice at each aid station drinking or pouring overhead  as much as I could get down while staying in motion and dumping the ice down the back of my top.  I was not very hungry, but ate a few more chews and saved 1 Huma gel for mile 5 on the run to get me to the finish line.  The run was very slow with a 10:47 pace.

Finished 8th out of 20 in my age group.  I was pleased with how the first race went down and it is always good to have a baseline test to reassess your training and what areas need more work.  I am ready to work on RECOVERY AND PACING to train and race smarter.

Overall it was great to be back on the triathlon scene and be part of the ONE MULTISPORT Team.  Every time you looked up, you were surrounded by other ONES either on the course, volunteering or cheering you on!  Afterwards, I raced home to check out everyone's stories and pictures on facebook and attended the post race party to share even more adventures from the day.

AND YOU THOUGHT I WAS SERIOUS WHEN I SAID THE SWIMMER NEVER WINS!  This swimmer is a big winner today having the gift of being able to tri and being part of an amazing triathlon community......that is the best prize of all and a big WIN for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment