The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Week in the Life of a Turtle who Tri's

The foundation has been layed and I am ready to build.  It is not rock solid as there are a few cracks, but nothing that can't be smoothed over in the next 25 weeks.  However, there is a busy spring racing season waiting for me around the corner.

Today I can reflect on the past week as it was just a "typical training week".  I have now reprogrammed my brain to wake up at 4:45 am every morning.  This week I put in 16 hours and 40 minutes of training which included 4 bike workouts, 3 runs, and 3 swims and 1 yoga class.  There are many things that did not get done.  When I figure out how to add another 7 hours to my week, I will manage to squeeze in more drills, strength training, rolling out muscles, stretching and massage to help me get to where I need to go!

Monday:
1.  Lesson on Rollers with Bicyclologist, Jeff Lockwood, worked on out of the saddle exercises both on and off the bike and the beginning of interval work.  Building comfort and confidence back up and will take it out on the road with Jeff next week.
2.  Yoga with yogi extraordinaire, Katie Daugherty at the Ranch which provides a nice way to recover, build core strength, and stretch out tired shortened muscles from a long week.  This has really helped me recover from the previous week and prepare for the upcoming week.

Tuesday:
1.  Warm up on bike rollers and then outdoors for short ride (23 miles).

Wednesday:
1.  ONE Masters Group Swim lead by Coach Klas working on technique and a variety of sets for an hour.  Still hanging in the slow lane as I am not ready to get lapped one lane over, but I think it is going to be time to EMBRACE THE SUCK very soon.
2.  ONE hour run with my friend Lucy who is tough as nails and will go adjust her speed up or down to train with me.  We did a nice warm up followed by 4-1 minute pick ups to try and wake up my anaerobic system
3.  ONE Monthly Meeting which is something I love to attend to recharge batteries in a room full or orange sharing the LOVE for triathlon and WINNING many raffle prizes, yet another FREE ENTRY to a race.  I am ONE lucky triathlete.  Even though, I am not an elite athlete, not even fast, I still feel very special when I wear my ONE kit.

Thursday:
1.  Warm Up on Rollers and then met a few people on my bike for the ride to Tom's Thumb (32 miles).
2.  Followed by a 3 mile run for a brick workout as it is almost time to TRI!

Friday:
1.  TO THE LAKE:  Nice swim at the lake despite the cooler temps.  Always a fun adventure and makes me feel very very happy to watch the sun come up from the water.  I was concerned about not feeling strong or in control in the water, but the water has been cold and I have not had good feeling in my arms.  Took me a few hours to thaw out and a NAP too!

Saturday:
1.  70 miles on my bike (which included 4 stops:  meet up with Orange Army, Group Picture, Refuel/Regroup Stop, and Lunch Stop).  Worked on standing every mile up 9 mile hill.

Sunday:
1.  Run 8 miles at Tempe Town Lake
2.  First OWS event of season, swam 2000, finished 4th master's female, felt better than Friday, but disappointed that I was 3.5 minutes away from my personal best, great baseline swim

Today marks 175 days OR 25 weeks until IM Chattanooga.  I feel good about where I am and having adequate time to prepare for this race, but I am not feeling very prepared for the short course season ahead and more specifically the Boulder 70.3 in June, but a lot can happen in 10 weeks.  My love for being around my fellow triathletes will carry me through.  When you go to an event, it is like being on an alternate planet where everyone is fit and happy.  Energy is oozing out of people's pores and spreading like crazy.  This world is a peaceful one where these alien beings scurry around in funny suits by land, water, and wheels.  All is good.  As my brother likes to say, "PEACE, LOVE and TRIATHLON".

Nothing remarkable to report.  A typical training week is a good place to be.   I must find a way to schedule in more rest and being my own coach this year, I am enjoying the juggling act of planning out my own schedule.  I guess that means that I have nobody to blame except myself when it comes to my results.  I do appreciate all the people that share their expertise with me.  I also enjoy sharing my experiences with anyone who will listen.

Time to get the hammer out and build the first floor now.  Congrats to all those who tri-ed this weekend.  Thank you for sharing this journey with me.  Now time to get some power rest and prepare for another "typical week".

No comments:

Post a Comment