The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

RULE OF THREES: "1,2,3"

3D Dizzy Guy Stock Photography - 18692402      Beaten Heart Stock Images - 24279604      Triathlon Stock Photography
How do you know which are your 3 events?  When you strongly believe that bad things or good things happen in groups of 3!  For me, I am pretty sure I am on my third bout of interrupted energy.  First there was the 6 week long upper respiratory infection, then there was the car accident, and lastly there was the post concussion syndrome after the car accident.  I am sorry folks, although I am being told that my sensory processing is far below average and my memory is not what it should be for a person of my age and education level, I DO DECLARE I am on the tale end of my THIRD event and the frown must be turned upside down and the fight has to begin.

The third blow in this case was the worst, although the first 2 did not help my cause to establish a reasonable fitness base for training.  This third event with vertigo and cervical dysfunction has really robbed me of my sanity and my fitness.  The state of REST can only occur for so long.  As I type this, my husband is riding on MY rollers that I got for Christmas and I am sitting on the floor leaning against my bed.

I think I hit rock bottom yesterday, but when you hit the bottom there is only one way to go and you know how this stories goes.  So once again, I must peel myself off the ground and put on my work clothes and make my way out of this deep dark hole back to the light.  The good news is that I did get a boost from my PT yesterday when she helped me with a last chance Epley Maneuver to try and clear the little stones called otoliths in my head that are wreaking havoc with my nervous system.  She gave me some new exercises to try and I saw light.  I slept flatter on my back and my world did not spin last night.  The anticipation of things spinning also complicates matters, but if nothing else works, I am a believer that TIME heals most wounds and so our friend PATIENCE returns to the scene.

This morning I got out of bed.  That is a start.  Being imprisoned in one's home and bed is not the life for me.  My heart broke for every person and family that has to face these daily challenges and the loss of support around them (especially when I went to the rehab center where you see lives are changed forever and I was sitting on the other side of being a therapist).  This is my brush with the the power of our brain and disruption to central headquarters. When you are being pulled toward the negative energy side of your own battery, you begin to push people away. You know that people care about you and wish you well, but the truth of the matter is that people are not attracted to the negative energy when you are in your greatest moments of despair.  I am fairly certain my condition is temporary or transient but my emotional state declined while I was trapped in the whirly depths of my brain.  Today, my head is so much clearer.  Many people do not get the opportunity for return of independence and freedom.  I am so sad for anyone to experience that type of loss.  This could happen due to an injury or illness or an accident or just even the aging process.  This has been my brush with the other side of health.

All the more reason to experience what makes you feel whole, what gives you life, and that sets you free each day that you are able to.  One great triathlete told the world to "Embrace the Suck", but let me tell you "the Suck Sucks", so I am going to "Embrace the Race" and I think this season is going to have greater meaning for me.  I was out to prove that I could be fit and fabulous when I got to 50, but I think the journey this time around is going to be about so much more.  May the Tri Gods grant me the power to Tri Again and give me 256 more days to get to Chattanooga.

Since I am having trouble remembering anything after 3, this is as good of time as any to start counting over again!

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration Beth. Tough, tenacious and persistent...all traits of an ironman. You will get there I just know it.

    ReplyDelete