The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

DERAILED

Sorry this past weekends post was delayed as my life has been in a whirlwind so to speak.  So much for "Out with the Old and In with the New".  While on vacation in Seattle over the holidays, I developed vertigo.  Here is the definition for those of you who have not experienced it before.
noun: vertigo
  1. a sensation of whirling and loss of balance, associated particularly with looking down from a great height, or caused by disease affecting the inner ear or the vestibular nerve; giddiness.
    synonyms:dizziness, giddiness, lightheadedness, loss of balance
    "the steep narrow stairs give me vertigo"
     
It was not the type of self imposed dizziness we all did as a child while spinning until we dropped in the grass and it was not the thriller type of a high speed ride at Disneyland or our first love that made us "giddy".  This is an annoying spinning sensation every time I lie down, roll over or stand up.  Once I am vertical, it clears up and I can go on with my day.  Coupled with head and neck pain lingering on from my car accident back in November, I went to seek medical advice this week.  I decided to go see a new doctor (who also happens to be the medical director for Ironman and a triathlete as I was looking for a sports minded doctor who could support my habit) and he felt that I had POST CONCUSSION SYNDROME which occurs after a traumatic event to head, face or neck and he sent me off for further testing and therapies.  Little did I know what was ahead for me.  My train is derailed and all the repair technicians have been summoned.  I have a plan in my future which includes rest, additional testing and fancy treatments like accupuncture, craniosacral therapy, and vestibular treatments.  This week I am to have minimal stimulation to allow my nervous system to heal (so no work or working out!).  The moral of the story is always allow your body and mind time to recover and heal from whatever events that have taken a toll.  Sometimes you cannot prevent obstacles ahead and your train will derail. None of us like to be waiting for repairs on the side track while most of our friends are out on the main line.

I do have to say that attending my Tri Club's Monthly meeting last night was the most therapeutic activity I have done all week.  Could it be that "my people" put a smile on my face and that is healing?  Could it be a room filled with positive energy is healing?  Could it be a reminder of patience and persistence and support will get me back on the track?  Triathlon is my church, my place of worship and solidarity.  I am thankful that it will be waiting for me when I am fixed.  As the little blue engine struggled up the hill, I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN.

SIDE NOTE:  On this journey since my car accident, I have encountered people all over who share this common passion of endurance sport.  The police officer that handled my accident, 1 insurance agent who was a cyclist, another fellow IRONMAN AZ Alumni from Class of 2012 at the car repair shop (who just joined my tri club), and therapists who did a post concussion evaluation on me.  Everywhere I turn, they are there sharing the love making daily life better.  When your chips are down and you can talk the talk before you can walk the walk, another endurance athlete is there to pick you up.

Take care of your engines!  ALL ABOARD!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. You really are Having a trying time with this whole training cycle. Hope you can get this sorted out and get back to training. But in the meantime try and enjoy the down time. You know the saying; if life gives you'd lemons............

    ReplyDelete