The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Paying Off Debts of Gratitude


Well today I spent the day paying it back, that is the debt I have accumulated over the past few years of people supporting my racing addiction.  Today you could say I consolidated my debt and tried to pay back the gratitude I have for as many people as I could fit in while juggling between 3 different events at the PF Changs Rock N Roll event in AZ.

I was cheering for my sister in law who returned to AZ to complete her first half marathon after being a spectator at many events for my family.  I was cheering for a few people in my neighborhood who were either logging another race or doing their first today.  I was cheering for many folks from my old and new Triathlon Groups.  The most special cheer today came for Team Wylder and meeting the people who have committed to Run for Rare Diseases and Honor a little friend of mine.  I met some new people. I saw some old friends.

I had to figure out how to fit everyone in during 5 hours of racing on 3 separate courses.  When I woke up this morning, I revised my plan so I could try and pay back a little love to everyone.  I went to the second mile on the Half and Mini Marathon Course.  First I met the father of a triathlete who just relocated to AZ with a new pro card.  I gave him some contacts for his son and watched his son fly by when the front of the pack came through.  Watching herds of runners and walkers pass by me for over an hour, I got to see the new fashion trends.  Neons are back in for shirts and compression socks.  And the tutu is popular for both men and women.  The homeless shelter is going to be warm tonight as by mile 2, many participants were shredding layers and throwing them on the side of the road.  Those items get donated to charity which is another good deed that comes out of a big event like this one.  Warm bodies of runners warm the hearts of strangers (Nice).  After I saw the last of the recipients of my payment, I headed for my car to maneuver to the finish line.  I was able to park across the street from the finish line but had to continue to follow the maze to get to my desired stake out spot.  I went to the 20K point where all 3 events were merging together less than a mile away from the finish line.  This way, I could try to see all my half marathon people and marathoners at the same time.  Finally I sped to the finish area and met up with the T-gen people who were running for Rare Diseases and Team Wylder.

There was a special tent city for all the organizations that had teams that participated to raise awareness and find cures for different medical diagnoses or to support participation of challenged athletes.  It donned on me that running has grown into a sport that is about so much more than the run.  People have used running to help fight disease, raise awareness for thousands of causes, and to promote inclusion and participation in sport by anyone that desires the opportunity.  It is not like professional sports where they can write a check to charity, but people pour their hearts and souls into something meaningful to them.  Some people are on the course for there own agenda like health, fitness, competition while others are there for support, comradery, or fighting a battle together by reaching out to the community.

Whatever the reason, I am proud to be a part of this community and though I often use endurance sport to better myself, I think it enriches the lives of some and unites many.  I was very happy to have the opportunity to tip my hat off to my peers, my neighbors, my team mates and to total strangers who were out there inspiring others.

The support from others to help one cross the finish line is not a debt that is easy to pay back, but it is certainly nice to try.  I am grateful for those that make this lifestyle possible and for those that are there for me when I am on the sidelines or crossing the finish.  I feel pride in watching others make things happen to achieve their goals since I know what is involved.

Congrats to all of those people who did something great today and for all the people that make it possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment