The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Panic Attack Yack Yack!

 
In the past, I have blogged on a weekly basis, but I am going to try and write more frequently.  Last night I was awoken by a feeling of constriction in my neck.  It seemed to get worse and I was trying to figure out what was happening (a typical physical therapist, always assessing the situation and signs and symptoms of my "state").  The past 3 weeks had been filled with anxiety over the motions which trigger dizziness every time I moved around in bed.  I had grown accustomed to these short spins around my bedroom as I had come to learn they would pass, but my body was always on alert and my brain was not getting adequate rest.  My therapist finally seemed to crack the code on Wednesday and we may have kicked Vertigo in the butt! (knock on wood). 48 hours spin free.  Life is Good!  Well, with that piece of the puzzle solved, all the neck and jaw pain seemed to return...it was just lurking underneath.  I was relieved it was finally time to address the Cervical Dysfunction portion of this so called Post Concussion Syndrome that has been haunting my body.

Despite having relief on the way in a few hours, I woke up in the middle of the night to discomfort in my neck jaw, neck and throat so I woke my husband up to warn him to be on watch as I shook and shivered.  I told him I was not certain what was happening, but let's wait it out.  I asked him to GOOGLE "Panic Attack" as I thought this might be what I was experiencing.  I did not want to seem naive as I knew these could be symptoms of something more serious, but if I did not pass out, stop breathing or die, I think we could go with Panick Attack. I apologized to him for all my bad behavior and talked about "the end" incase it was pending and within 10 minutes I was calm and joking, but my poor husband now had to bear the burden of worry and try to get back to sleep.

I finally fell asleep when my alarm went off to go to PT.  I was not sure why my doctor referred me to this specific therapist but I had checked to see if he was skilled in the techniques my doctor requested and then that morning I read more about him on their website for reassurance that I was going to the right place.  I was comforted to find an article on Whiplash and that the therapist was a cyclist.  But when I met him, I knew he was the person I had been waiting for to help me get BACK IN ACTION (and that is also the name of the clinic).  Did I mention that he was a cyclist!  I put my trust in him and when someone tells you with certainty that you are in the right place and they can help you, your faith is restored.  I only wish I would have started with him on this journey, but I am glad I landed in his clinic and I do believe he is going to get me back on track.  I don't expect a miracle, but I am more hopeful then I have been that this is all going to turn out in my favor.

So after a very thorough assessment, some major crunching of my cervical spine, and some mobilization and stretching techniques and some activities for home.  I left with renewed hope.  We agreed that I should try to build back up to 25% of where I was prior to the PCS and a slow return to work.  I also got a call from work that they found a therapist to come in and help with my caseload to remove some of the burden as my job is quite physical with lifting, bending and moving.

With a yellow light to proceed with caution, I met a friend for a walk and lunch and then my training buddy came over to work on some swim skills.  I don't think it was a GET OUT OF JAIL FOR FREE CARD, but maybe a One day pass.  I think there is going to be some work involved to be released from this prison for good, but I am so happy I have got to see daylight and so grateful not to see stars and planets rotating above my head.

Now the test will be to see how my night goes and what tomorrow brings.  It is great to get out of bed or lie on the floor without having to think about it and I look forward to hopping on my bike soon without worrying if I will be able to balance on 2 wheels again.  As a triathlete it is important to understand your body so you can get it to agree with your commands, but too much thought can provoke the opposite effect where the body overrides the mind's control.

No comments:

Post a Comment