The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Just Another Training Weekend

Not much to report this week except I am the proud parent of a HIGH SCHOOLER!  Recovering from my PR at last week's race.  I guess No News is GOOD NEWS right?  This week on Monday, I attended a "Recovery Ride" led by pro cyclist Eric Marcotte who is also a chiropractor and focuses on helping athletes with wellness and prevention.  He rode along my side and helped me work on techniques to help rid the muscles of waste products and drills to work on technique and cadence.  It is just a shift in mindset to give up my day off for an active recovery.  It is hard to judge the effectiveness of this method after working hard at a race vs. a regular training weekend as it still seemed to take a few days to recover and then this weekend was a bit of a struggle with fatigue and heat.  The good news is I know I am due for a good weekend when I have a bad weekend, so hopefully the good weekend will occur next Saturday during my long course race, Deuces Wild in Showlow, AZ. 

This weekend our local triathlon store held a ride to raise funding for ALS research which brought out a few riders from a number of triathlon and cycling clubs to raise money for this disease in memory of one of our local pro triathlete's mother.  It is always nice to see the cycling/triathlon community come together to support a cause.  It is great to take what you love to do, share it with others, and do something good by just pedaling.  The course was perfect training for Deuces with a lot of climbing too.

This morning I went out for my long run for 2 hours and just went my standard turtle pace, slow and steady practicing nutrition along the way and hoping that I can put my body in auto pilot next week after swimming and biking and go 13.1 miles.

This week I attended a talk about heart concerns among Endurance Athletes.  We had a panel of doctors and athletes that had various cardiac issues and discussion about if we should be concerned about long distance having a negative impact on our heart and if there are any special testing that we should undergo.  Despite the recent press about the deaths that have occurred during Ironman Swim and the changes IM is proposing to make it safer, the consensus of the panel was that no additional testing was recommended in addition to routine physicals unless you are symptomatic or have a strong family history.  It is great to have these opportunities to learn more about various triathlon lifestyle topics as science is always changing.  For every study showing one correlation, there is a one with the opposite conclusion.  You can make yourself crazy trying to find the correct method of training, nutrition and equipment of the times or you can just filter through all the information and find what works for you. 

This week I will find balance and rest in preparation of Saturday's race.  It is a building week and the race is for training to prepare for Vineman 70.3.  I have also been researching opportunities in California while I am there and found another club to train with called Forward Motion Racing Club.  I have received messages from several members giving me information about workouts and events happening in the area and they have 30 athletes going to Vineman.  There are several events to choose from while we will be in town.  One can never have enough TRIATHLETE friends in their life.  I love being around the people, the lifestyle and bonding through sport, training and accomplishments.  As I have said before, THESE ARE MY PEOPLE.  I am thankful for every day I can swim another lap, pedal another stroke, and run another mile.  May we all live long and prosperous and be able to tri for the duration! (Just saw Star Trek today, so I had to throw that in there).

No comments:

Post a Comment