The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

For Every Up Hill, There is a Down!

A solid week in triathlon training to report with a good ending.  The lesson that I was reminded of this weekend racing and training in Prescott, AZ for every up hill, there is a down hill.  For every struggle, there is a reprieve.  Life is just like that.  So after a hard long ride last weekend, my body came back stronger this week.  I am still trying to find more ups then downs or a way to make the downs less steep.  The more hills you climb, the stronger you get, both mentally and physically.

This week included 3 swims (1 pool workout to practice technique, 1 tough group workout in the pool, and 1 open water swim in choppy waters), 3 bike workouts (1 hill workout, 1 easy, and 1 very hard medium distance) and 3 runs (6 mile, 3 mile, and Whiskey Row Half Marathon).  The weekend portion was challenging and I am left with very sore muscles, but a big confidence boost.

My friend Alveratta and I went up to Prescott for some altitude training.  We ran the 35th Annual Whiskey Row Half Marathon which is probably one of the hardest courses in Arizona.  For the first 2 miles the streets were lined with bumper to bumper runners and I found it a little hard to breathe as we slowly climbed the first gradual hill and then I reached a steady state when we turned into a neighborhood with several challenging rollers.  Every time you made it to the top of one peak, another steep section was waiting for you, teasing you that it would level off only to round a bend for more punishment.  The course climbs 1000 feet to 6200 ft at the turn around and then it is all down hill (minus a few short steep climbs).  The thought of what would happen at the turn around was motivating because there was a reward waiting for you.....a 6.5 mile downhill.  People were going all out on the downs, but I knew I had to show some restraint because there were a few steep rollers waiting right where we left them on this out and back course.  I averaged between an 11 and 12 minute mile on the way UP and a 10 minute mile on the way DOWN.  Yes, I did a NEGATIVE SPLIT!  I was estimating about a 2:30 half on this course and finished in 2:22 (a little bit faster than my Ironman Marathon Pace).  I find it fascinating that I move around the same pace no matter what distance I go.  There is for sure room for improvement in my speed, but I am hoping that I am heading in the right direction.  My body just does not seem to have the fast gear anymore.  (my fast used to be between 8:30 5K, 9:00 10K to 10 minute marathon pace).  I am most definitely in the back of the pack in running these days, though steady as can be.  I cannot go any slower unless I walk (And that is just a bad thing mentally for me to do).  I was annoyed by the people who were walking up the hills and passing me sprinting down the hills, especially this women who was in her 70s I would say...she would speedwalk up and then she would scream her head off while sprinting down.  I was just trying to enjoy the serenity in the pines and I finally dropped her after the first half, but I was happy she was so strong for her age and hoped I would be out there when I am in my 70s and beyond.....I just wish she would have saved her enthusiasm for her solo runs.  My legs did start to fatigue on the last mile but I was able push through the shortening that was happening in my muscles.  My friend Al finished strong about 5 minutes ahead and me and we enjoyed some post race refreshments, a snooze on the grass, and lunch.  The race motto was "ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH" and the question was answered at the finish and on our shirts....YES, WE ARE TOUGH ENOUGH!  They had a few signs on the course that were so funny right before the hills, like "WHAT THE HILL IS THAT".  The runners and volunteers were fun and I enjoyed the section that was on a forest road in the pines and took the time to take it all in.  Our friend Cory was there who is running the 50 in 50 (50 marathons in 50 states) just doing an easy run between marathons.  He is going to write a book called......"Just Another Long Run".  I feel privileged to have taken a few steps with him at the start  I spent the rest of the day hanging out at my parent's house recovering.  The true test would come the following day.
 
We set out to do a 2+ hour bike ride and I had a course in mind that takes you from downtown Prescott on Highway 89 over a mountain pass to the town of Wilhoit.  I have done this ride about 6 times (including 3 Skull Valley Loops).  Today was my best climb back up 89 from Wilhoit even on tired running muscles.  I remembered the first few times a did this ride with my old steel bike with my 650 wheels.  I have felt pain on this ride and suffering, but today was different.  I was practicing what Jeff, my bicyclologist taught me during my last lesson where we worked on hills and trying to incorporate his teachings into my pedaling and shifting.  My legs did not burn on one hill and what looked and felt so steep in the past, did not feel so bad.  It still looked scary when you saw what was ahead, but when your wheel met the hill, it did not feel so hard.  Slow and steady I went up the 3 climbs.  When you ride the Skull Valley Loop, you have already gone 40 miles before you get to this part, but today was out and back, so I had only gone 14.5 miles before we had to turn around and climb back out (although I think the half marathon from the day before might count as the 40 miles of riding time).  The SCOTT FOIL had been berry berry good to me and learning to ride with better form and shifting has got to be helping.  Or just maybe it was my day!  The UP after the DOWN or is it the DOWN after the UP.  My motto today when we saw our sag vehicle (Al's husband...thanks John).....was "FOR EVERY UP, THERE IS A DOWN" as I chugged on by.  When we reached the summit at 6100 feet, my work was done and I got to enjoy 5 miles of fast downhill through the scrumptious pine trees.  Did I mention, I love pine trees.

Everything was aligned and that is a good way to end a weekend because that is where our mind travels to a place where it believes we believe the message it is sending.....I THINK I CAN.  I am feeling better about my upcoming Deuceman Race (half IM distance) on June 1 where altitude will be a factor.  ALTITUDE AND HILLS WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER......But as my friend Cory pointed out, all you have to do is change one letter and it turns into ATTITUDE which maybe is what really makes you stronger. 

Did I mention that I am very sore now.....so perhaps tomorrow is a good day to try out the RECOVERY RIDE that ONE is fortunate to have on our schedule with one of the top AZ cyclists leading on Monday mornings.  It is worth a try at least ONEce.  My new club ONE has me going on puns with the word ONE in it.  So bare with me.  Remember for every uphill, there will always be a down.  Never stop on a hill for you will miss the greatest reward, the exhilaration on the way down!



1 comment:

  1. Good to remember....downhills are worth the uphills.

    ReplyDelete