The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Monday, May 13, 2013

EXTRA EXTRA Read all about it...Weekly Triathlon Tribune: Turtle Trilights

This week was full of miles and smiles along with a lot of time to think! So I thought I would do a short newspaper style entry this week.

IRONMAN INTRODUCES SWIMSMART INITIATIVE IN NORTH AMERICA: 
Ironman pilots alternative swim starts and other enhancements to swim course at select North America events.

This announcement stirred up quite a reaction in the triathlon community.  Several friends posted this article on facebook this week with very passionate discussions and debate amongst fellow triathletes.  Many die hard and top notch triathletes feel very strongly about protecting the history of the event which includes a mass  swim start where 2500 athletes start in the water together while many middle of the packers are concerned about safety and making the swim more a more pleasant experience.  Some people feel that Ironman has become too readily available or achievable and feel threatened about the average person being able to complete the challenging course to earn the title of Ironman crossing the finish line in under 17 hours.  They seem to feel that what once used to be an amazing feat is now as common as marathons have become and that by modifying the rules, it becomes accessible to more people.  Other folks feel like the mass start and the rules from the original race is what makes the race challenging and weeds out the Iron Man from the Common Man.  Times have changed and the original race has grown from 12 competitors to over 2500.  Safety and liability are issues of the new Ironman generation.  The average age groupers bring in the cash flow to pay for the pro prize purses and cover the cost of putting on these incredible events that require road closures, city permits, police support, liability insurance, race gear, signage and printed materails, awards, t-shirts, etc. and so on.  Though a small group of elite athletes would like to maintain the integrity of the challenge and the rights to earn the title, it is great to see many people inspired by other triathletes to overcome personal challenges, to set goals that seem a bit out of reach, put together a plan, work really really hard and learn about themselves and what the human body and spirit are capable of.  Since many more people are being inspired to sign up for such events, I think we should embrace, encourage and support them in their efforts.  I also think it is necessary to evaluate the safety of the sport when allowing 2500 athletes on a course that has to be condensed to a small area to make the race logistics work.  For me, I fully support the pilot program to make the sport safe for everyone.  It was just interesting to hear the reaction to this announcement as I have been concerned about the mass start and wondering what it was going to take for change to happen.  It personally did not enhance my Ironman experience, but for others it is an important part of the experience.  For a moment I felt like I was amongst hockey parents again who do not recognize the medical research and new recommendations for concussion prevention in hockey with reactions saying "toughen up, if you can't take it, don't play" when there are kids out there with permanent brain damage and even death that return to sport too soon after a concussion.  There is also research on professional football players now on the long term effects on repeated concussions and we have seen how this plays out with dangerous behaviors, poor judgement, Parkinson's symptoms and even suicide.  I think as long as we are willing to pay to participate in Ironman Events, we should respect their efforts to making the sport safer for everyone.  That is my opinion on the matter.  I also think IM listens, so instead of whining, share how you feel with IM, but be willing to try out the pilot program.  If it prevents injury or death of even 1 person, it is worth waiting a few more seconds to start your day at IM.

S3:  Sole Swim Solutions:
Frank Sole coaches ONE swim workouts on Wednesdays at the Village.  He owns a swim studio and also trains all levels of athletes.  I think this S3 stands for Satanic Swim Solutions.  And further more if you mention that the workout was hard, the coaches take that as a challenge to prove to you that there is always something harder waiting around the corner.  So I have learned to keep the comments to myself (and hopefully he does not read my blog!).

THE THREE SISTERS:
Met up with a few ONE riders and headed for the hills.  There are 3 steep hills to ride at the end of Via Linda known as the 3 sisters.  I had heard about them but had yet to conquer.  I have been up the common hill in the middle which I thought was hard, but little do I know, my friends saved the Queen of All Hills For Last.  Watch Who You Follow or you might end up getting stronger!

THE LONG RIDE:
This week, I had to complete a 70 mile long ride in preparation for my upcoming Long Courses.  I was on my own this week due to racing schedule this past weekend.  My legs seem to be catching onto a little higher cadence on the uphills.  I enjoyed one of my favorite loops through the town of Cave Creek ( a little western town) and then the climb past the Towers.  I made this climb 2 times to prepare myself for the 10 mile climb on the Deuceman Course.  I had intended to do a brick, but I was on empty when I returned home as it is heating up in AZ.


TESTING, TESTING....OPEN WATER SWIM at CANYON LAKE
On Saturday, I completed my brick workout by doing a short run before heading to Canyon Lake.  I decided to enter an OWS event to practice swimming for a time and with more people in the lake.  I had signed up for the 2000 meter open swim because I thought I had a better chance getting an age group award then being in the top 3 in the master's category.  I had no specific time goal, but just wanted to work on improving my comfort and speed in the water while surrounded by other triathletes.  I wanted to get my "swim" back.  Before I started getting serious about triathlons, I felt very comfortable and smooth in the water when I first started open water swimming and then I started training with a group with coaching and training for IM and my swim seemed to fall apart.  I was swimming more frequently, harder and longer distance along with trying to change my technique.  Before Ironman, I developed shoulder pain that I just had to manage to make it to the IM start.  My times slowed during the year, but I pulled off a decent IM swim of 1:12.  I took some time off to try and let me shoulder heal after IM.  I seemed to have an impingement syndrome and I had different people evaluate it.  A PT gave me one helpful exercise to help get the glide back and manage the problem and I have been working with a new coach who has identified some different areas that I needed to work on.  I have kept my workouts shorter, less frequent and focused on arm and body position.  My weekly group workout is challenging and helping with conditioning.  So the outcome of this swim was positive with a time of 36:32.  Unfortunately I misunderstood about there being age group awards and I had finished 6th in the Women's Open, but they were not giving out age group awards so I left without a medal :( after being excited about my results.  I would have finished 2nd in Women's Masters.....so next time I will take my chances and stick with the OLD LADIES!

I am reading the book SWIM SPEED SECRETS by Shirley Taormina.  She was an Olympic Medalist and only 5'2 so I am excited to learn her secrets!  Really in swimming size does not matter if you know the secret.

DAYDREAMER:  How to Occupy the Mind on a 15 mile Run
Here we go again.  A long run on very tired legs to prepare for the half ironman distance.  What do you think about when you are just out there running for several hours.  It is a dreamlike state where your mind travels to many places and when you wake, you forget most of where you have been.  Here are some of the thoughts I remember:
1.  I am going to sip water at every traffic light (no garmin, so I though I would try drinking at every light)
2.  Plan an incentive plan for my son to work hard and get good grades in high school
3.  Happy Mother's Day to Me!!!!!
4.  What races am I going to do next.
5.  Why am I so slow?
6.  Maybe you just get slower with age.
7.  What races am I going to do next.
8.  Oh, I just want to be done.
9.  How many weeks until Vineman?  Try to do math while running, I dare you!
10..  Should I stop to go to the bathroom, should I stop?  Don't stop.  Mind over matter.  Keep going.

What do you think about on your long run?  All and all a good week on triathlon front.  This week will be the beginning of the next phase so more rest and will end up with the Tempe International Triathlon where I will try to redeem myself for the flat at the last race and see what time I can post hopefully without any technical problems.

Don't forget to recycle your newspaper after you are done reading!  Have a great newsworthy week tri peeps!



1 comment:

  1. Wow...so much in one post. Lots of triathloning going on in your world. On my long runs lately I'm usually just thinking about whether I think I can run 26.2 miles after riding 112 miles. But forget doing any kind of calculating while I'm running....or swimming or biking for that matter. Exercising and thinking are mutually exclusive activities for me.

    ReplyDelete