The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Warm Up for Vineman Complete...6 weeks and counting!

How many triathletes prepare for their half Ironman Race with another 70.3 in the altitude, wind, and heat?  Well, a turtle does, because the turtle does not fear the elements.  It always has it's shell for protection.  I returned for a replay of one of my favorite courses from last year called Deuces Wild in Showlow, AZ.  Last September, I completed my first half ironman distance in preparation for Ironman, AZ at this event called Deuceman.  With my PR at my Olympic race 2 weeks ago, I thought I might be able to improve on my time from last year.  It is really hard to compare any two races because even on the same course conditions can be very different along with many other factors.

The event was moved back to June 1 this year and another company took over the event and raised the price.  I love being in the pines while tri-ing, so I was willing to pay the price.  The price even includes cold water, altitude, wind, and heat!  I am getting better at managing all the elements, but you have to be ok when your time does not come out as you wished for.  Most people described the race as difficult and there was a lot of pain and sufferage on the run.  Somehow, you feel better, not being the only one.  We endure pain, because we know it will end.

My race went pretty smoothly and it was just about getting a "progress report" for where I am today with my fitness.  I think I have a strong base and now it is time to spend a few weeks fine tuning.  I would rate my midterm grade as a C+.  It was not an easy day, but it was a great day.  Who ever said triathlon was easy?

The race went like this....On Friday night, we picked up the race packet and walked around the lake and the transition area.  We could see there was a little bit of disorganization at that point.  I walked down to the lake where there were a few people testing the water out and they were trying to get the buoys up.  The race director was giving instructions to the guys in the boat and said they put the bouys in the wrong place.  I did not have a very good feeling about what was going to happen next.  I asked for a water temp and she yelled out to me "62" as she raced off to trying to get the event all set up for tomorrow morning.  They had canceled the pasta dinners and the big raffle (so my dream of bringing home a new wetsuit this year was shattered.  Last year I won Skins recovery gear and bike gloves).  So we were on our own for finding a simple dish of pasta in Showlow which is no easy feat.  What can go wrong with a bowl of spaghetti (oh, please don't ask).   Early to bed and early to rise as all triathletes do, we got a VIP parking pass so were able to load the car and drive up close to transition.  Dennis helped me get everything to transition and I set up my spot, got acquainted with a few of my rackmates (the people's who had their bikes parked next to mine).  Transition is a fun time to meet new people, share training and race tips, and prep the body for the next 6 hours or so!  I always allow 30 minutes for getting my wetsuit on and then we headed down to the water.  The Long Course Race went off first.  I counted only 25 women, so I knew it was going to be a long lonely day.  The swim is always fun for me.  The course was different this year and was 2 loops counter clockwise in a triangular pattern.  I could not tell how I was faring among the other athletes because I normally pass a lot of people and I only passed a few blue caps (men, who started 5 minutes before us).  I had one of my fastest times in the swim.  I always hate getting out of the water, because it is where I am most comfortable.  I really need to be the swimmer on a relay team and go all out one of these times (there is a plan in the works to do a relay with my husband and friend).

Transition was uneventful and I am even getting faster, but you can only make a turtle go so fast and they are still slow.  I got on my bike and told myself to just start off easy.  Easy never came.  I had rode this course 2 other times and I recall the first 10 miles being very fast, but it was one of my rides where I felt like I was pedaling through chocolate pudding and apparently the winds were not in our favor.  My legs were sore when I tried to stand and I knew what was going to be up ahead after the fun roller coaster ride......HILLS.  I focused on nutrition and taking in salt because I have cramped on this ride badly in the past.  I alternated between fig bars, honey stinger chews, and Ironman Perform.  My goal was 200 calories an hour.  I have been using the non technical method of listening to my body and I even listened to my biological clock instead of looking at miles and time for nutrition and it seemed to work very well for me.  I started feeling better after the first water stop and enjoyed the rollers.  I was passed by about 10 people during the ride and I felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere all by myself.   It was very cool being on a road with nothing and nobody.  I thought someone should take my picture for RAVE RIDES (Runner's World does Rave Runs).  Then as you hit the town of Taylor, it is time to start climbing.  I recalled there would be about a 10 mile climb with 3 sections and I decided I would do HILL DEDICATIONS for people that have inspired me for challenges they had endured.  First hill I thought about the beautiful article one of my friends wrote about her beloved pet she just lost.  The second hill was dedicated to the same friend who is battle thyroid cancer and the third climb was for my little friend who lost his battle against a rare disease.  I might have underestimated the number of uphill sections because I had to repeat the dedications and add a few more.

There was a helper today going up the hills and that was the wind.  In some cases Wind can be your friend and the hills were easier then they had ever been (or maybe I should say less difficult).

I had an uneventful transition from bike to run and knew what I had to do on the run.  The goal I had to run faster was impacted by heat and fatigue and my goal quickly changed to just run the whole way and finish and the time will be the time. (In Leadman, I walked and once I walk, the run is over for me).  Many athletes claimed it was the altitude, but I did not feel bothered by it.  I just felt hot and my legs were tired.  It is very hard to prepare yourself to run after you have been out there for over 4 hours.  I wondered how I did this at Ironman (and faster at IM too!).  I was thankful for all the volunteers who provided amazing service at the aide stations and for the cool sponges and wind.  I took a new sponge and filled up one bottle from my new fuel belt every mile and continued taking 1 salt tablet every 30 minutes along with 2 jelly beans every mile.  It has been my winning formula.  After the first loop and an extra hill climb before the second loop, my mind started questioning the purpose of this day and I was not looking forward to the last 6.5 miles.  I started worrying when I felt my face and it was dry and salty, but I did my best to stay cool and hydrated.  Ofcourse by the last 2 miles, my stomach was not happy at all and the question was can I keep moving forward without cramping.  My quad started squeezing tight on the last mile, so I just shortened my stride and slowed down (it is hard to slow down when you are already at bottom speed, but if anyone can do it, a turtle can).  I was going to be happy to finish and then evaluate what I need to work on to perform my best at Vineman on July 14.

I finished in 6:40:49 about 7  minutes slower than last year.  My comparison of the 2 years were a different swim course with a faster swim time by 1:20 minutes, transitions about the same, 4 minutes slower on the bike (wind, less fit, at heavier weight), and slower on run by 7 minutes (weight, heat, altitude).  This race was earlier in the season with less altitude training.

We took off after, showered and then headed over to a barbeque with my Triathlon Club to recover and share stories from the day.  The awards were later that evening and I wanted to go because the race was small and I thought there was a good chance I might have picked up an age group award and maybe walk home with a good raffle prize.  I ended up 2nd in my age group and had to beat a few people to earn that, so I left happy with a picture on the podium, a rare experience for turtles.  The race had its glitches and needs some improvement, but it is on the top of my list and I hope the new company can keep it going.  Don't let the altitude scare you.

Today I only can ask myself (and get some direction from my bike and swim instructors) since I am using the self coaching method.  Over the next 6 weeks, how can I get ready for my "A" Race, Vineman 70.3.  I will need a few days of recovery this week and then I will take 3 weeks to build more strength and speed and get a few more long rides and runs in and focus on nutrition.  6 weeks is not a lot to make significant changes, but in triathlon weeks, a lot can still happen.  I am hoping to find a new PR at Vineman, but in the end, just being out there is what makes me happy!  I will also taper more for this race, so I start feeling fresh and strong.  We leave for my California Training Camp next Friday (6 weeks out of the heat).

The best part of this weekend was sharing it with my new club and getting to know everyONE.  I loved volunteering at the xTerra event  as well and learning how to be a "wetsuit stripper" where being on the other side of the mat was kind of exhilarating.  I loved hanging out with the athletes and sharing stories.  I also love how everyone cheers for everyone else and has good friends they support on different teams because we really all are ONE triathlon community and your biggest competitor is always yourself.  I am happy to be a part of such a great community.

Now it is time to FOCUS!  And have some summer fun with my family.  Family first, triathlon second??????  As long as my fun includes time to swim, bike and run.....LIFE IS GOOD!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a 2nd place and for adjusting to challenges that come triathlons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Beth.....sounds like you are right on target for your A race. And I'm thinking a team relay together for a 70.3 might be in our future at some point :)

    ReplyDelete