The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Changing Perspective



Sometimes things don't always go as we planned.  Although my plan has been loosely woven this summer, a lot of modifications have been necessary.  It helps to be flexible and you have to be willing to change your perspective.

After Ironman, my hope was to rest my body, heal my shoulder, and work on my speed.  So 2 out of 3 ain't bad!  I have been training consistently, but not as long, fast or hard as I was able to do during my Ironman Training.  The things that I had hoped were going to happen during the first half of my California summer, have not exactly gone the way I had envisioned.  I planned on joining group workouts and getting speed work, hills, and long rides in.  My experience to date was that the California athletes are fast and the turtles are less apparent.  Even know, all levels are welcome to attend workouts, the bulk of people that train in this group are far in front of me.  Secondly, the groups often meet at 8 am and that is 3 hours later than we do in AZ, so beating the heat or traffic and family obligations do not appear to be on top of the list here.  The group workouts did not go along with my training plan.  And to top it all off, my body has been fighting off illness. 

Perhaps this is why a lot of triathletes, choose the every two year IRONMAN plan.  I had even considered every 5 years to prolong the life of my career, however, I am starting to get the 2 year "itch" and also a big life time event is coming up in 2014 when I will be turning 50.  I don't feel like 50.  I don't think I look like I am 50, but I think when we look at our self in the mirror, we still see the person we want to be,  a little girl,  someone that doesn't know it all, someone who has a lot of learning left to do, and a lot of goals to achieve and much more laughter and living to fit in.  Well, I intend on celebrating my first 50th birthday with another 140.6 miles.  The plans are under way.  The first objective is to determine WHERE the party will take place (Boulder, Co; Lake Tahoe, CA, Whistler, BC, CANADA and Couer d'Alene, IDAHO are all possibilities) and next will be TRYING TO MAKE RESERVATIONS for the PARTY (trying to get into one of these events...no easy task as you usually only have a few minutes to buy a spot!) and WHO to INVITE (which friends and family will come celebrate with me :) )

Needless to say, for Vineman 70.3, I did not peak in my training where I hoped to, but the TAPER must go on.  I like to put in above the distance on the swim, bike and run and more brick workouts before a long course event.  Weight loss and speed are not happening being away from home.   I had hoped that Vineman was going to be a PR race for me this year, but I realize I am not going into the race at my leanest or fittest or even healthiest condition and so my perspective is now to just "enjoy the view" during this scenic race through the vineyards....another vacation destination.  Sometimes by removing the pressure of performance and you are relaxed and rested, a good race can happen.  Luckily, I am satisfied with finishing a race and mostly just Happy to BE THERE.  Not that I don't sometimes wonder, how I can make my body move faster.

I have modified my goal to try and peak at my 3rd and final race of the season in Flagstaff (the final half IM distance in my personal summer series).

So between lots of hours nursing muscle aches, a sore throat, and a cough this week, I alternated between forced rest and working out.  I managed to get 3 swims in this week, 2 bike rides, and 3 runs.  I also have logged many more walking miles in getting around without a car (another 12 mile walk over the Golden Gate Bridge and getting around town for shopping, eating, and going to the movies.  I tried to get more time training in the warmer parts of the day as that is a strong possibility up at Vineman with my late start time.  Once again, I am looking ahead at Vineman as being a long training day in preparation for Mountain Man (and I am sure that race will turn into training for something else).

I am constantly changing my perspective.  As athletes conquering challenging tasks, we constantly do the dance with our mind trying to keep it in perfect rhythm with our bodies.  The conversation between the two is constantly changing and we always need to put a different spin on things to make peace between the two.  Our mind tests us during the course of a race, often questioning why or how we are in this predicament.  We have the power to change how our mind perceives any experience.  When things are not going your way, all you have to do is change your viewpoint and you will come out a winner, satisfied for what you were able to achieve at any given moment.  Instead of thinking about how I turned around on a steep steep climb yesterday, I will revel in the thought about how far I did make it!  Always check in when you allow your mind to drift into La La Land, becoming  Triathlete in Space.  If you can't change the circumstances that surround you, you have the power to change how you will respond.

Taper Time is fun no matter how you look at it.  Fine tune, keep your body loose, prepare for your race mentally with plans A, B, and C and rest!  Make yourself hungry for distance!


No comments:

Post a Comment