The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, July 7, 2013

ONE CYCLIST'S DREAM CAN BE ANOTHER CYCLIST'S NIGHTMARE!

Two cyclists pedaling through a storybook forest with all that mother nature has to offer and the pavement that man has layed down through it.  One cyclist thrives as the other one struggles on the very same road.  The first flies up the hills singing "The Hills are Alive" while the second is crying inside so nobody hears his pain.

The riders of Northern California cannot be 100% human!  It blows me away that my husband came here and a week later climbed up the 10 most challenging ascents around the Bay.  I did not really fully understand this until experiencing some popular Bay rides myself and especially today while we drove parts of the  Best of the Bay Ride.

Northern, California is saturated with cyclists.  Everywhere you go, they are out on all types of bikes and no road or trail is off limits.  They do not fear motorized vehicles, steep ascents, fast descents, hairpin turns or traffic.  They come out in drones.  If you are sight seeing on any scenic drive, you have to share the roads with the thousands of cyclists.  It is one thing, maneuvering on narrow, curvy roads, but to find the strength and endurance to maintain a bicycle on both wheels during a steep climb, boggles my mind and questions everything about my being on a bike!  Our bodies are amazing machines and adapt to the environment they are in, but I have questioned "how" let alone "why"? Why do some people have it and others do not?  How much is effort and how much is talent and how much can we change our skills be putting in more effort?  Have these athletes just adapted to this environment because this is all they know.  Then explain how my husband can come here and climb 10,000 feet like there is no tomorrow and I am left behind in the dust, walking my bike with my head down in defeat.

I know that it can't be as bad as it seems and there is a bright side to this story.  For the mere mortal rider, it takes time and technique to master the terrain.  Hopefully, even though I feel a bit broken down after this week and the past month, hopefully I will go home with a higher level of fitness then I started with.  I also have been reminded that if I am going to sign up for an Ironman with PINE TREES on the course, this was a sign of what level of training is going to be required to succeed.  I will have my work cut out for me and finishing a more challenging IM, will be sweeter than the first.  So time to brush off the dirt, swallow my pride and get to work!

As hard as this week was, it was the most beautiful week of all.  I swam in beautiful Del Valle Lake with a local triathlete who graciously picked me up and drove to the lake as we shared triathlon stories.  My husband and I skipped the big local 4th of July parade and opted for sighting seeing by bike, so we headed down toward San Jose and reunited with another tri friend who just moved to that area to ride a loop around Big Basin State Park near Saratoga Springs.  It was a beautiful ride through redwood forests and included my first challenging California ascent.  It was rated 4 out of 5 in difficulty and I questioned my husband's judgment about putting me in this cycling scenario.  The beauty of the redwoods and the surrounding terrain along with the good company made the 4 hour struggle worth the effort.  My husband and friend were proud of my efforts even though I felt like a dog with my tale between my legs, I motored through it because I had no choice.  Two days later, I needed a medium distance ride and I was concerned about going out too hard with a group or too far and I thought my husband had an easy alternative.  He took me to the first loop from the Best of the Bay starting in Orinda, CA around the San Pablos Reservoir.  We were flying down the hills and then onto a rolling country road through farmlands and then he took me on this back road through Lafayette and Orinda and the fatigue in my legs got the best of my body and mind.  The short steep climbs were too much.  This time, my cries were out loud.  My husband apologized as he did not remember the ride being challenging (which relative to the rest of Best of the Bay, it was a baby ride).  Somehow I survived and made my way home to swim while my husband road a few more hours.  I spent most of the remainder of the day stretched out in bed.  Finally, I ended the week with my my final long run on the prettiest part of the Ironhorse Trail through Danville and Alamo. 

We are in awe of the beauty of Northern, California.   We are reminded daily what is missing in Phoenix and that is TREES.  This week we traveled through hills, pine trees, redwoods, cliffs over looking the bay, views of the city, and the pacific coast.  Words or pictures cannot capture the beauty.  Every time we look, we see something different, a new landscape, a new view, and a new perspective.  We continue to discuss what we love about the area and what people here have to endure daily to live here.

I have a new RESPECT for this territory and the cyclists and triathletes that thrive here.  We are thankful for the time we have had here.  This week, I am going to rest my weary body and try to go into my race refreshed and ready to enjoy the scenery in wine country at the Vineman 70.3 race.

Let's hope that with more training, my cycling nightmare soon turns into my favorite dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment