The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, July 28, 2013

HERE OR THERE

Could you would you ride a bike?
Yes, I could and would ride a bike.
Would you could you ride it here or there?
Yes, I could and would ride it here or there.
I would, I could ride it anywhere.

That is the great thing about a bike.  You can be near or far from home and as long as you have your bike with you or access to a bike, you can ride it here, there or anywhere!  If not your bike, your running shoes will do and perhaps a wetsuit too.

As of late, I have had to train here or there or anywhere.  For 2 months, I have woken up in different places from day to day and week to week, but I "tri" ed almost every day from San Francisco down to LA.  Anywhere included Northern, California with rides around the East Bay of San Francisco, San Jose, and Sonoma County for my Vineman race then down to Southern California at the beaches from Torrence to Santa Monica.  I was back home in Scottsdale for no more than one ride in the desert before heading up to Northern, AZ in Prescott and Flagstaff to prepare for my final long course race of the season at higher altitudes.  You can fold triathlon training up into a box and take it with you wherever you go.  It is much easier if you travel by car if you have room for your bike.    This is a simple life that I lead.  It takes only time and variable speed.

This week I had more scenic workouts in cooler temperatures surrounded by the trees I love, PINE!  I managed to complete an 80 mile ride on Lake Mary Road in Flagstaff and a swim in the chocolate Lake Mary.  Today I topped off another week with a beautiful 2.5 hour run on the Urban Trail in Flagstaff.  I got to share my workouts with other friends who were escaping the heat as well as enjoy a weekend of solitude before getting back on a schedule for work and school.

Well I have to say, I will miss "there" now that I am "here" and I look forward to the next time I am "there".  But, it is good to know that is does not really matter where you are because you can swim, bike and run and have all kinds of fun wherever you go and with whoever you know.

So just remember you too can do it here, there or anywhere!




No comments:

Post a Comment