The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

TTTTTTAPER TIME, REST FOR THE BODY AND MIND

 

Round 2 has been different every step of the way.  With 16 weeks to go or 113 days before Ironman Number 2, the journey has taken on a life of its own.  The body feels different and the mind is challenging me in more then one way.  Perhaps the changes that occur when you are approaching 50 are true and cannot be denied.

When you think you have been tested to your limits, a new challenge hits you right in the face.  When you think you have felt all the pain, fatigue, or exhilaration, a new sensation takes over your body.  It is the same, but it is different.  When you thought your body finally accepted your introduction to new and improved techniques for better efficiency, out comes a newer or better way to pedal on the bike, stroke in the water or strike your foot on the ground.  When you thought you had your nutrition under control, a new style of eating to enhance your performance emerges.


Every day I train is another lesson on what my body is capable of or not!  I am continually changing my schedule around to maximize the quality of my workouts.  There seem to be more "bad" workouts then "good" these days, but sometimes those are what take you to the next level.  Poor recovery, fatigue and muscle cramping are mysteries that I am trying to solve.  I guess it does add some suspense to the story.  I am always able to find some lesson or positive in the struggles if I reflect long or hard enough.
    
I am ready to leave a hard week behind and rest my body and mind for a strong week ahead.  My first big race is coming up, Boulder 70.3 and it is the time Triathletes tri to embrace for the race, it's TTTTTAPER TIME, rest for the body and mind.  I will slow down (not hard for a turtle to do) and focus on keeping my joints mobile and muscles relaxed.  This week is not the time to introduce anything new or worry about Chattanooga.  This is an opportunity to get more fit, get tougher mentally and physically, and first run through or dress rehearsal for 140.6 and strengthen the base for the big race.  I have had some disappointing long workouts this month.  But, I have come to the conclusion that we have to accept where we are on the route and not beat ourselves up for coming up short on our goals.  If the road does not go straight through, you can usually find a detour to your destination.  So take a deep breath and enjoy the scenic back way!

This morning I really was happy that I am trying out this self coaching method as nobody knows better what is going on in your body and mind then yourself and I am able to modify the workout to fit the "state of my engine".  I do appreciate the input I get from the experts that I train with and carry their words with me on every workout.  Listening to my body is a key element in success.  I know pros may ignore the messages or override them, but I feel that I push my body as hard as it can go and it may not be very fast.  I am the only one that knows.

Boulder is not an A race, but more of a training run, I will still practice tapering this week to learn how to get my body race ready.  I am looking forward to quieting my mind and body and a trip filled with fun and laughter with my tri friends.  Life is too short to tri without having fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment