The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Armed and Dangerous: This is WAR!







This week was about fighting back.  I have some problems to solve and after my hill repeat session with my bike coach on Monday when he posed the question about my performance being limited by "fitness vs. focus" and I replied "both" and he argued that he felt it was focus and that I needed to commit to the task at hand and see it through.  I was feeling progressively worse and disheartened during the workout as I was not sure how to overcome the physiological signs I was experiencing during this particular workout and for the past few months including nausea, weakness, and cramping.  Upon effort, I was feeling nauseous and I ended my session by vomiting in the parking lot after my coach left my side.This opened up more dialogue about what possible internal issues could cause these symptoms and when do we ignore the messages your body is sending you versus pushing past them.  I knew from past training that cycling did not have to feel this way and that working hard should "hurt so good" and this is not what I have been feeling.  In particular, I have been struggling with long workouts and there are so many factors to consider including Arizona heat, nutrition, hydration, and other possible medical considerations.  I have been playing around with everything from what I wear, what and when I eat and drink, how I replace the massive amount of electrolytes and fluids lost, and why I am cramping on mile 50 of my bike ride under a variety of circumstances.

This week I had to get my long run and ride down mid-week due to traveling plans for the weekend.  After my lows on Monday, I went to Sprouts and stocked up on a variety of vitamins, supplements and aides including Dr. Hyland's anti-cramping formula, anti-pain/inflammation creams, raw vitamins for women over 40, fish oil for inflammation, and a variety of Vega pre, during and post workout formulas in liquid, powder and bar forms.  I need to find some magic formula to get to the next level of training.

MY PLAN

Step 1:  Minimize exposure to temperatures higher then core temperature so begin workouts early.
Step 2:  Wear minimal clothes.  I tried out cooling arm sleeves and I still feel better with less on.  My body does not seem to be able to cool itself despite large amounts of sweat being produced.
Step 3:  I am a very heavy sweater and salt residue is caked on my body, clothes, and equipment.  I usually take salt tablets, but after doing some reading I began to question if the salt is helping or contributing to the nausea, so I have tried with and without salt tabs or taking less and replacing electrolytes in my fluids and foods.
Step 4:  Start taking vitamins and fish oil to compensate for any deficiencies I may have and to help reduce inflammation
Step 5:  Try out Dr. Hyland formula for cramping.  I don't usually turn to natural formulas but I felt I had nothing to lose and my ride this week was the first ride I made it over 50 miles without cramping (I made it to 68).
Step 6:  Continue experimenting with nutrition and I was finding holding off on my food intake on my long workouts for 90-120 minutes was detrimental.  The metabolic efficiency trend out there does not seem to be working for me though I continue to try and incorporate some of the principles into my diet and for training.  I would like to eat less to minimize stomach issues, however, my body seems to respond best to eating smaller amounts more frequently.  This is still a work in progress because I have been having multiple issues.
Step 7:  Work on recovery between work outs using protein and recovery shakes and stretching.

So when I went out on my long bike ride on Thursday, I went out ARMED AND DANGEROUS:  This was war and I was not going to let the cramping and muscle weakness win.   I set off with a 70 ounce Camelback filled with straight water and 2 large bottles with Nuun mix.  I did not wake up early enough to eat before my ride, but I did take a Vega Pre-workout drink and I took 2 anti-cramping tablets.  I left at 4:40 am with lights turned on.  I had a variety of food options.  I started with a bonk bite at mile 20.  At mile 30, I took my second dose of anti-cramping tabs.  At mile 40, I took my second bonk bite.  I was alternating between the Nuun mix and water throughout the ride.  My ride had 3000 feet of elevation gain so the big question was, what was going to happen at mile 50 today.  I stayed in zone 2 and worked on keeping my cadence between 90 and 100.  I was getting closer to 50 miles and fatigue was setting in, but I was able to keep pedaling.  I took a Huma Gel at mile 55 and continued to hydrate.  My body was getting more tired and beginning to heat up, but NO CRAMPING.   Maybe I finally pushed the wall back just a little.  I made it to 68 miles.

My bike was very noisy making a clicking noise for most of the ride so that was a bit of a distraction from what I was feeling.  On top of not cramping, I had developed foot pain on the lateral border of my right foot.  It just seems that pain shifts around the body and if it is not one thing it is another.

Next I get to take my training to cooler climates for my summer training camps.  So this week's battle was a victory, but I have not yet won the war.  I will keep fighting because that is what triathlete's do.

No comments:

Post a Comment