The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Triathlon is the Best Medicine

When I go to the doctor, there is only one thing he can write on his prescription pad to make me feel better and that is the word "TRIATHLON".

You don't have to be able to swallow a pill and it comes in many forms like swim, bike and run.  You can take it with or without food.  It may or may not make you drowsy depending on the dose.  The side effects are mostly positive, but you must use caution so you do not overdose.

If you tri, you are likely to be happy for the rest of your life.  You may have to take a second mortgage out on your home, but your life will be full of endless adventures and hundreds of friends who share your passion.  When triathlon is running low and you need a refill, you can start feeling lethargic, lonely, overweight, undernourished and just plain old sick!  Life happens and we have to adjust how much triathlon fits at any given time, but do not let your inventory get too low because sometimes it takes a while to build the supply back to a comfortable level.

I am happy to announce that I am feeling stronger and building a solid base with 28 weeks to go to Chattanooga.  This week I was able to train at higher altitude in Prescott, AZ for a few days and work on some climbing.  My muscles are sore and my body is tired, but it is starting to feel like a good sign.  This weeks long workouts included 1.2 mile open water swim, 10 mile trail run and 61 mile bike.

If you are feeling down and need a boost, ask your doctor about TRIATHLON.  Warning:  use at the risk of feeling good every day (well almost every day)!  Studies showed that 1 out 10 people died of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment