The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

My husband was talking about how nobody "gets him" as a lone cyclist who likes to climb.  He joined my triathlon club as my side kick and to find some riding buddies.  He is merely a cyclist (I say that jokingly as he is light on his pedals and flies past many) and they see things differently then a triathlete.  A triathlete is a very self centered athlete and must manage their energy so they can get off their bike and quickly enter a running race.  There is no drafting in a triathlon unless you are competing as a pro at an ITU sanctioned event thus it is every man for himself.  Now in cycling, you see pace lines where cyclists work together to conserve energy, taking turns leading the pack and doing the work while the rest of the line draft until a break away occurs.  Both sports are competitive, but one is more of a team sport and the other is more of an individual sport.  On the other hand, there are a handful of cyclist that enjoy climbing and take it upon themselves to find the toughest climbs in the world which are often in some of the most scenic places and amongst the most prestigious events i.e.  Le Tour de France,  Tour de Italy and even Tour de California.   It is not an easy task finding riding partners and groups that will help you work on your personal goals.  Often people will push too hard or go out too fast when riders get together.  Riding with others can make you push yourself harder then you would on your own, but it can also send you flying over a cliff and set you back in your training.
Muppets-Group-Bicycle-Ride
On the other hand cycling friends make riding a bike more fun when you have others to roll with.  But sometimes you roll faster or slower then the others or they don't "get you".  To be a strong cyclist whether you are a roadie, triathlete or a tourist, you must be comfortable in your own skin and committed to your own goals and not easily influenced by peer pressure.

For myself, right now, I don't have many people that I can keep up with, but when you find the person that fits, it is really nice.  I have learned that the training partner that fits you one season, may not always be the one year after year as everyone has changes that occur.  I keep going back to the idea of acceptance that is taught in YOGA about accepting where you are today and being satisfied with that.

Turtles are pretty good pacers and if we keep our eyes on the prize and we don't rush to get to the end, it can lead to success.  As I watch people take off fast,  pull ahead, and going out on a wing and a prayer (which can sometimes help), I feel comfortable holding back and waiting for my fitness to build.  I am impressed by so many athletes out there who continue to get faster and stronger, but I remind myself that I am I and I have to focus on my own body and not get influenced by the latest and greatest craze.  That is not to say I don't have curiosity for the newest running shoes and bike, training methods and the nutrition trends.  One size does not fit all in triathlon.

With that said, I am thankful to have other triathletes to motivate me to get started with a workout, even if I can't keep up with them.  Who knows some day I might be side by side with someone who seemed far out of reach or maybe I will just be out there longer enjoying my day.  It really does not matter if anyone gets me.  I am comfortable in my shell and what I can share with many people is the journey whether it was slower or faster then the next guy.  The beautiful thing about being in an individual sport is that most athletes enjoying sharing their love of the sport, so elite and novices stand united in the same room and they do "get each other".
Photo: Open Water Swim is B-a-a-ack. Closing Rattlesnake Cove won't stop us from enjoying the very best way to start your Friday! #WeCantStopWeDontStop #BetterSelfieThanEllens
This week was a big one for me as I have been reminded of what muscle soreness feels like and taking those sore muscles from the previous day into the next workout.   Now this is starting to feel familiar.  This week included the beginning of Open Water Swimming in 60 degree water temps, a swim lesson in the Shark Tank with feedback to work on head position and hand position out of the water before recovery and increasing stroke count.  I had a 17.5, 29, and 59 mile bike rides; 5.5, 3, and 9 mile runs, and 4 swim workouts, plus one yoga class and one strenuous hike.  All in a weeks work!  Maybe I might not understand my husband's need to climb up 20,000 feet on a bike or he might not understand the thrill of tri-ing, but together we are happily exhausted from what we love to do.  We can take different paths and come back together in the end which is exactly what will happen in just over 200 days as he will be at the Everest Climb in Bishop CA while I am competing in IM Chattanooga in Tennessee.

There is a little worry about how I am going to get stronger, leaner and faster before my 70.3 in Boulder, but with all the set backs I have to adjust my goals and keep my eyes on the prize which is 29 weeks to go, IM Chattanooga.  CHOO CHOO!  Hop on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment