The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

CHATTANOOGA KICK OFF PARTY!


Today I hosted the Chattanooga Kick Off Party!  Let the TRAIN-ing begin.  It is great to have a small group of triathletes from my home town to share this journey with as I venture out of my state for my next 140.6!


I learned a few fun facts today as we sat around sharing experiences and plans for the future:
1.  Maybe Ironman is not as big of a challenge as I thought.  There is always something more challenging lurking around the corner if you are willing to accept it. (like races that traverse through rugged landscapes or that go on for days).
2.  If you complete 12 Ironman Races, you can compete in KONA through the Legacy Program (only 11 more to go!)
3.  We all have issues, but can we time them just right so they won't stop us from getting to the start line. (Pick a body part: back, hip, knee, shoulder)
4.  If you have a lot of money or you are famous, you can buy your way into an Ironman Race.  Maybe instead of Dancing with the Stars, Ironman will host TRI-ING with the STARS...who would you like to see on the LINE UP?
5.  If you have a big heart or you really really really want to get into an IRONMAN, you can fund-raise or donate your own money to a worthy charity to support (if you calculate the cost of traveling and volunteering a year in advance to sign up for your most desired IM, you can break even by staying at home in front of your computer and signing up for a Foundation Spot.... and it is tax deductible).
6.  If you are a PRO.....you can decide to race at the last minute.
7.  All IMITs (Ironman in Training) are fun, unique individuals with a good sense of humor.



This week was a full training week with over 15 hours of training.  I got back on my rollers working on bike technique and working on building a stronger base.  I had a few great bike rides this week including a challenging ride to place called Seven Springs in preparation for one of the hardest climbs in the US....Mt. Lemmon in Tucson.  So much work to be done, but I am now ready for the FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment