The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Frugal Triathlete: Balancing the Budget

 Cartoon Dog With Dollars Stock Photo                   
Why did you start to TRI?  Back in the day when I got hooked on running and went on a marathon binge, if someone asked me why I felt the need to run 26.2 miles, I would reply because "I CAN".  Then when I spent a number of years trying to get back into shape and was unable to run because of chronic pain, those words became even more meaningful.  I would swim because it was something I could do without a lot of discomfort.  I remember meeting a triathlete at the pool who told me he had suffered years of back pain and had surgery and was able to rise again and compete and become an Ironman.  He had given me the gift of hope that day.  I finally invested in a road bike and I started cross training.  I initially was falling in love with cycling and would sprinkle it was running here and there.  Swimming was always my GO TO sport to fill in the gaps for fitness and recovery.  I quickly discovered if I changed the activity each day, my body was tolerating an increase in activity and fitness level.  I was just so happy to be in motion again.  One of my secret powers is being a SHAPE SHIFTER and cross training would surely help me enjoy a healthier life.  Maybe I would be an Ironman some day too.   Instead of asking WHY tri, the question turned into WHY NOT?
Saving Money Stock Photo
I signed up for my first Sprint triathlon which quickly turned into an Olympic, and so and so on as most Ironman stories go.   Then, I joined a team, hired a coach, and the spending spree began.  What went from my original motto of "fitness for free" turned into a year long "buy your way to the finish line".  For those that don't know what it costs to do an Ironman on top of blood, sweat and tears, the sport can easily tap into your retirement account.  Spend it now as you never know if you are going to get to later!

  • Ironman Race Entry: 600-800 non refundable paid in full in advance
  • Race fees:  Training Races en route to Ironman: ave 100-200 per race depending on distance
  • Travel Expenses:  gas, airfare, car rental, hotel, food, bike transport
  • EQUIPMENT
  • Bike: bike, tire, tubes, CO2 cartridges, lights, helmet, shoes, pedals, nutrition, hydration, water bottles, maintenance and tune ups, socks, bike clothes, gloves, winter and rain gear, sunglasses
  • Running: road shoes, trail shoes, socks, hydration system, running clothes, hat, 
  • Swimming:  wet suit, swim suits, caps, goggles, training tools
  • Weight Training and Yoga:  Mat, Balls, Straps, Blocks, Weights, Resistance Cords
  • Transition Bags, Towels, Race Belts, Trisuits
  • Coaching:  Monthly Training Plans, Membership Fees, Sport Specific Coaching for Bike, Run, Swim, Nutrition, Sports psychologist, Training Camps, Workshops
  • Medical Expenses:  doctor visits, therapy, massage
  • Other
A triathlete easily spends 10 grande a year to get the to finish line of an Ironman.  However, after the first time, I made some changes and decided to prioritize these expenses.  I feel like I am the frugal triathlete as my peers are quick to spend top dollar on the latest and greatest bike, wetsuit, races and coaching plan as I sit back and watch the exchange of currency.  I still occasionally overindulge, but if you need to, I do believe you can balance your triathlon budget.  Here are the things I am trying this year to lower my costs.

 Drawing Dollar Sign Stock Photo

  1. I joined a Triathlon Club in lieu of a private club/team cost 80 dollars per year.
  2. I decreased the total number of races that I am entering or I attend my club meetings and hope to win free entry to events (awesome perk of my tri club as they have supported me in several races over the past year).  I volunteer at races that I do not enter to still feel a part of the local tri community and to give back.
  3. I am waiting until my ship sinks to replace my wetsuit (beside I love my starter wetsuit, it has NEVER failed me and as superstition has it I am afraid I will lose my super powers in the water if I make a change).
  4. I take advantage of discounts offered on race entries, travel, equipment discounts (another perk of belonging to a tri club are sponsor discounts)
  5. Purchase tubes and nutrition products in bulk 
  6. Attend as many FREE CLINICS offered by local coaches and clubs
  7. Free online training programs and books (I love Joe Friel and Training Peaks)
  8. Sports Specific Coaching:  I seek out coaching for individual sports who are highly experienced coaches to maximize my time and money spent in this area.  Shop around for the coach the best fits your needs and budget.
  9. GO PRO:  Self Coaching and including the family in the process:  Will be having my son film me with his GO PRO and analyze my own technique or share that with my coaches.
  10.  Buy lottery Tickets!

I might be frugal, but if I do live to see my retirement, it will be nice to still have some money in the bank.  Besides, I have a kid to send to college and my husband joined in the craziness and is racing on his bike this year too (luckily he only has one sport to pay for).
Working Money Stock Photo
Putting the budget triathlon training to the test this week.  Having my schedule planned out on Training Peaks has helped me get back on track.  It is very cool software that allows me to develop my own plan and hold myself accountable and track my progress.  I enjoy working with my coach very much (MYSELF).  I enjoy the freedom and flexibility.  This is not the way to go for everyone, but having the schedule written out on training peaks feels very similar to a coach sending you a plan.  This week I completed all but one of my workouts (and the day is still young).  I increased to 3 workouts in all 3 disciplines this week and am slowly recouping my lost base.  I am still the SHAPE SHIFTER and hoping to get my fitness back to a level that I can shift in the right direction.  My neck is improving and continuing with therapy for a few more weeks.  There is still a lot of building to do in strength, flexibility and power.

In closing, I am thankful for the people around me every day as doing a training plan on your own is one thing, but being surrounded by others for support is a necessary component to success.  It is amazing to belong to a triathlon club and be in  a sport where you make new friends every week.  My TRI life is RICH even if it is on a budget!!!!!!  I am ONE wealthy triathlete!
Wealth Word Stock Photo        3d Character Holding Dollar Stock Photo            




No comments:

Post a Comment