The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bipolar: I TRI-ed but I CAN'T GET UP!

This week, I put in almost 11 hours and 85 miles worth of work mostly by increasing my bike mileage and squeezing a hike in at the end of the week.  Although I am happy to be tri-ing again, I was reminded of the extreme highs and lows one experiences during training and it made me think about triathlon as a mood disorder.  I am "high" when I am in motion, but "low" after the effects of the workout wear off.



The high is most likely due to the production of the feel good drugs that are released during endurance work and the low could be the production of waste products that accumulate in the muscles and the shortening of the muscles, making moving hard to do.  I think this could also be referred to as the TRI HANGOVER or TRANGOVER.  What happens in Triathlon should stay in Triathlon! But I can't help but to write about it.


I thought about the people in this community and how I don't fit the typical profile of being lean, light and hyperactive.  There are people who can't get enough of the hippity high and are out there running, swimming, biking, hiking, striking a pose, sprinting, weight lifting, cross fitting, and jumping over fire NON STOP.  I don't know if everyone experiences the Low or if some athletes just choose not to come down.

Perhaps, I am so at the beginning of reaching a base level to JUMP HIGHER and this is just the lonely dirt road one has to take to maintain a high longer or maybe I am just a mere mortal that has occasional highs followed by lows.  When I figure it out, maybe I won't have to take 3 hour naps after 3 hour workouts.

Looking ahead, I am excited to be pointing my vessel (body) in the right direction with the following weeks filled with lots of adventures.  In the next 12 weeks there are races, rides, and hikes planned to build a strong base for the next Ironman Adventure in September.  It will not be without lows, but I am most certainly looking forward to the high moments along the way and their after glow.

This weekend, I felt as though I was outside of my body watching my friends pedal far in front of me and thinking about what it is going to take to get my mind to join my body and how to tune up my engine and what it will feel like when everything is in sync again.

I am weaning from physical therapy and ready to add some more strength and flexibility onto the schedule to get stronger.  My first race of the season is in 8 weeks.  I crave the feeling of freedom and flight for 3 hours at the Marquee Olympic Distance triathlon.  So time to push past the pain, soreness, and fatigue and climb the next peak even if it requires more ups and downs to get there.  I am also excited to add more hiking to my schedule to prepare for a Grand Canyon adventure with my family.  I think this will add strength and power to my stride as well as provide mental clarity for what lies ahead.

Last night I was reminded about turning 50 with style, dignity and class as I attended a friend's 50th birthday party and the question circulated around the room about "what are you going to do for your 50th" and I was reminded why I signed up for the next big race as a birthday gift to myself.  So I better peel myself off the couch and GO SHOPPING for all the parts needed to put on a great show!


No comments:

Post a Comment