The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Monday, December 9, 2013

How to Train for the Hot Chocolate Run in 1 day!

Life became busier than I hoped and crazier then I planned over the past few months.  I have slowly been adding workouts back into my routine after my last set back and here I find myself starting over once again.  Every time I am forced to miss multiple workouts, it certainly feels like whatever small gains made have slipped away.  Each time I have tried to build up my distance, start a strength training program, improve my nutrition or begin to add some interval training over the past few months, it seems some life event happens and pulls me away from my plan.  I guess you could say it has been 2 steps forward and 1 step back, but that still means I am ahead of where I started from, so we must be moving in the right direction.

This week, I made it to the pool 2 times, on my bike 3 times, and on the run twice.  Before my car accident, I was heading to get ready for a 9 mile and 13.1 distance races the next 2 weekends.  I was up to 10 miles running and 45 miles on my bike....but life happened again and it was a struggle to pull off a 30 mile bike ride and a 7.5 mile run this weekend.  The next 70.3 and 140.6 are going to be hard earned in 2014!

Today when I went out for my run, I decided I wanted to try to run for at least an hour.  The weather was cool and clear and I decided I was well enough I should push it out a little longer so the following weekend, I would only have to go 1.5 miles further than this weekend.  I knew if I paid a little more today, I would suffer a little less next weekend, so that is what I did.  It make me feel like I just trained for a race in 1 day!  Ready or not.....time to head back to the races.

1 comment: