The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

While driving home from work on Tuesday, I was asking myself whether I should go ride or run that afternoon.  The question was answered for me when I got rear ended on Tuesday and sustained a minor Whiplash Injury.  Stunned after getting hit from behind and being pushed into the car in front of me, I was able to get out of my car and ask the guy behind me, "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?".  When a motor cycle cop showed up at the scene within minutes, he directed us to pull off the road.  When I got back into my car, my neck locked up and I was unable to turn my head.  After being checked out by the paramedics and turning down the ride in the ambulance I was standing in the parking lot with a fat lip and stiff neck deciding what to do next.  Of course, my husband was out of town and I was unable to reach a friend to come pick me up.  As time went on, my muscles relaxed and I was able to get into my car and make the 3 mile drive home.  I knew going to the Emergency Room was in my best interest so a friend took me and we had "girls night out" in the ER.  The x-rays and CT scans of my neck and back confirmed that I did not have any fractures and that the muscles along my spine contracted to keep me safe and now I would have to deal with the consequences of the dreaded whiplash.  I received prescriptions for all kinds of muscle relaxants and pain relievers, but they did not realize that I was an IRONMAN!

So I laid on ice for 2 days and took my over the counter anti-inflammatories and slowly started moving around.  By the 5th day, I attempted a gentle spin on my trainer and a short swim both of which felt good, but today I am feeling the effects.  That is the thing with a car accident, you never know what you are going to get.  I am being optimistic that I will come back with a vengeance but will proceed with caution.   I am thankful nobody was seriously injured and the biggest headache is dealing with the insurance companies.  I am even more thankful that I was NOT on my bike when I got hit and that I am an Ironman which probably helped me avoid more complex injuries.  What's a little neck and back pain!  We overcome this every day.  I wish I could just take a protein drink and recover quickly, but I know this might be another small setback on the road because ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.
During this extended rest break this week, I was able to attend a talk by Joe Friel, Endurance Athlete Expert and Author on Five Training Tips for Endurance Athletes.  Here are the notes from the talk and what I am focusing on.  If you want more detailed information, pick up one of his books.   I am working on my goals as I type and looking forward to start reading his books.

FIVE LESSONS: TRAINING FOR ENDURANCE ATHLETES by Joe Friel
  1. SET GOALS THAT ARE OUTCOMES: outcome-oriented, challenging, realistic, well defined and measurable
  • small number of goals (3)
  • sub goals=training “objectives”
  • training objectives based on “limiters” (things holding you back)
  1. STRENGTHEN YOUR LIMITERS: fix weaknesses, what is holding you back?
    Limiters are race specific weaknesses and can include: course, competition, length of course, endurance, etc.
  • Race your strengths
  • Train your weaknesses (what are yours?)
  • Common Limiters
  • training knowledge and methods
  • time
  • equipment
  • physiology (increase VO2 mac, increase lactate threshold, increase economy/amt of fuel needed)
  • nutrition
  • body weight
  • injuries
  • motivation
  • support
  1. CREATE A PLAN TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS BEGINNING WITH TRAINING OBJECTIVES: 16-24 weeks cycle to your FIRST EVENT OF SEASON
    Training becomes increasingly like racing
    A. BASE PERIOD (8-12 weeks): focus on general fitness, limiters, aerobic endurance, muscle force (weight training), and efficiency (speed)
    B. BUILD PERIOD (6-9 weeks): focus on race specific fitness (novice=duration and veteran=intensity) and race like intensity
    C. PEAK PERIOD (1-2 weeks): taper duration, race specific simulation
    D. RACE WEEK (1 week): focus on rest and short race intensity
  2. MEASURE PROGRESS TOWARD GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
    Example of what is measurable:
  • Aerobic Endurance (Z2): Power/Pace/Speed divided by HR (if you use Power or Speed, number should increase)
  • Anaerobic Threshold (Z4): 20 minute “FTP” test: how fast you can go in a 20 minute period (you can measure power, pace and/or speed): 9 mile hill good place to test yourself!
  • Race Readiness: B or C-priority race performance
  • Patience: always emphasize 3rd quarter of your workout. Divide workout into 4 quarters and make Q3 your best.....all top athletes do “negative splits”
5. REFINE YOUR SKILLS:
    Early base period: skills come before strength, speed, and stamina
    Bike: Bike Fit, Engage the pedal earlier in the downstroke to increase average power
    Run: Decrease ground contact time
    Swim: Catch
Resources: TrainingBible.com/freeresources; jfriel@trainingbible.com; joefrielsblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment