The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Muscle Memory: Tri-ing to Remember!

As Arizona Ironman is approaching in less than a week and there is a lot of bottled energy waiting to be released on the course, I reflect back and think about that day and the journey to get there and this song runs through my mind.
(I wanted to post more pictures from my day, but my blog is not cooperating)

Memories
(from the WAY WE WERE, lyrics by Michelle Lewis),


Like the corners of my mind (I recall the day that I made the ultimate sacrifice of 140.6 miles to join the club)
Misty water-colored memories (It is foggy, but I can hit the replay button in my mind of the sea of triathletes scurrying about that morning, the commotion in the water, the line of bikes on the Bee Line, a pro zipping by, an amputee hopping around the lake, and the many many legs walking in darkness, not many running as I turtle trotted by, the gobs of volunteers at each aide station, the sounds echoing in the night, a runner hurling on the side of the road, and the crowd cheering people to the finish, collapsing in the arms of friends and coaches, laying on the ground trying to keep the thousands of calories I consumed moving down and not up, kissing my medal, being supported into the car, not being able to shut the mind down, hobbling to the awards celebration the next morning, trying to stand up, buying finisher gear and basking in the glory for several more weeks.)
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind (Beth Kozura from Scottsdale, AZ, "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN)
Smiles we gave to one another (lots of hugs from the sidelines)
For the way we were (mentally and physically tough)
Can it be that it was all so simple then?(PROGRAMMED TO SUCCEED: wake up, train, eat, sleep, eat, train, eat sleep and repeat)
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again (1 month post: NO, 6 months post: NO, 12 months post: BRING IT ON!  My life is not the same without IRONMAN in it)
Tell me, would we? could we?(YES?)

Memories, may be beautiful and yet (The strength, the spirit, the determination, the guts)
What's too painful to remember (Kicking, hitting, numbness, cold, pain, cramping, nausea, sore, chaffed)
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter (training partners, coaches, family, friends, the competitors, the volunteers, the support crew)
We will remember (THE GLORY)
Whenever we remember...(IRONMAN)
The way we were...
The way we were...

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO ARE GETTING READY TO JOIN THE CLUB, MAY THE IRONMAN SPIRIT FILL YOUR HEART WITH 17 HOURS OF HAPPINESS AND JOY.  UNLEASH THE IRONMAN IN YOU AND SET IT FREE!  MAY YOU FIND PEACE and HARMONY ALONG THE ROUTE AT THIS JOYOUS CELEBRATION AND FEAST OF SORTS AS YOU COMPLETE YOUR JOURNEY TO THE FINISH LINE!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh...has it been a year? Sometimes it seems way longer than that then other times it seems like yesterday. Chattanooga here you come.

    ReplyDelete