The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, December 15, 2013

CROSSING OVER from MULTISPORT TO SINGLE SPORT

If you are old enough to remember, most triathletes started out as something else.  We were swimmers, runners or even cyclists.  How many of us grew up tri-ing? (well I actually did one triathlon when I was in college and then my next was about 25 years later).  At some point, we watched TV coverage of Ironman but we never dreamed of attempting such an unimaginable goal, that was for the god like mutant people.  Starting as small local events in swimming pools and parking lots, it was not long before triathletes were coming in drones taking over the fitness scene.  For many of us, all it took was one race and we were hooked.  Today we see IRONMAN tattoos painted on people's bodies and 70.3 and 140.6 stickers popping up on cars.  Popularity of this sport has skyrocketed.....but let's not forget our roots.

Many of us were runners back in the day until we found triathlons.  We crossed over into the world of multisport and our lives have never been the same.  It is almost unheard of to go run 13.1 or 26.2 miles without a 56 or 112 mile bike ride right before (who does that?). Soon, runners and cyclists that wanted a piece of the action started signing up for adult swimming lessons so they could participate in these multisport celebrations.

Let the truth be known, on occasion triathletes have an off season depending where you live, but most of the ones I know, schedule running races during their off season thus crossing back over to that other planet.

There are some obvious differences when you attend a Running Event after doing running races the past 2 weekends.  You can easily identify the runner vs. the triathlete:

  1. The runner wear short shorts and the least amount of clothing of bright color while the triathlete wears a form fitting tri-suit.
  2. The runner wears their favorite race shirt and the triathlete wears their team uniform or their Ironman gear.
  3. The runner tends to be longer and leaner while the triathlete has more body mass (though I am happy to see all body types participating in both events).
  4. The runner uses safety pins to fasten their number on and the triathlete uses a race belt.
  5. The runner travels light and the triathlete packs their own snacks.
  6. The runners drink water and gator aide and 1 GU near the end of the race while the triathlete wonders where's the coke, food and the sponges.
  7. The runner fights for a good spot at the start and sprints out of the chute and the triathlete starts in the back and starts off slowly as they know they have a long run ahead.
  8. The runner is obsessed with their splits and winning and the triathlete is there for a training run.
  9. The runner talks about what marathons they are doing this year and qualifying for Boston and the triathlete talks about which Ironman they tried to get into.
  10. The runner logs 60 miles a week and the triathlete logs 15-20!
  11. The runner elbows his competitors and the triathlete stops and make friends along the route.
  12. Runners get faster and triathletes become slower runners.
  13. BOTH ARE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

During today's half marathon, I felt exactly the same as I did at the end of my Ironman.  I find it very fascinating that one could be out there for 13 hours or 2.5 and still experience they same sensation.   It was an exercise of mental toughness and a baseline for how much work lies ahead.  I was faster than my triathlon times but far far away from my old PRs when I used to be a "runner".   So my first goal for the next 2 months is to get lighter and faster.  And then I will cross back over to the land that I love.......TRIATHLON!
 

2 comments:

  1. Runner, runner, runner. Afraid I will sink like a stone in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment that you mention that you felt the same as after you Ironman. I am not even in same league as you, but I think I can identify with that feeling. The two sprint tris I have done have not felt any worse/different that my 5k races (and my times are the same!).

    ReplyDelete