The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, October 6, 2013

It is dark inside this shell! Still trapped!

Well as my husband would say in the IT world, problems take a while to solve.  Computer guys are so patient in trying to figure puzzles out.  I think my patience is wearing thin.  My Reboot is not going so well.  You try different ways to close out your frozen screen and one of these times, magically everything will come back fresh and new and work like it is supposed to.

This week has been filled with trying out different remedies as the gunk I have been gagging and choking on for the past month seems to have miraculously relocated to my sinuses.  My smoker sounding cough has been extinguished (never smoked one in my life as I was violently overexposed as a child by my parents and had a strong aversion to anything you light up!) with the remnants now residing in the dark cavities of my shell.  In lieu of a return doctor's visit to scold my doctor for not listening to me the first time around, I evaluate and treat myself daily for free (minus the cost of home remedies and future bill for my deteriorating mental health).  No fever and fluids still clear with slight color and thickening, treat self for congestion and find some draino.  So, I stocked up on Emergen-C Immune Plus,   Allegra, Zicam Cold Remedy, and NeilMed Sinus Rinse.  I think the rinse is the most effective tool so far, but as soon as I take a clear breathe, more fluid drains and gets trapped.  I can deal with the gunk and manage the symptoms, but the chronic fatigue really gets in the way of being a triathlete.  Luckily the events that are coming up in October were supposed to be fun short races and fun get a ways.  Even a short workout seems to take a lot out of me, but the benefits outweigh the cost, because I need my daily fix.  Every day, I tell myself I will wait one more day before going back to the doctor as we know just showing up at a doctor's visit scares away all the symptoms and the doctor cannot find anything wrong with you.  It might be worth the 120 dollar office visit that I pay out of my pocket to scare the symptoms away. 

With all that said, playing tug of war with the mucus streams, I have managed to get 3 short runs in this week 20-30 minutes a piece, 3 bikes rides of 20, 30 and 15 miles, and 1 20 minute swim.  I have been researching different training programs and one site I came across talked about including 3 weeks during your pre-season training to focus on your weakest link in the tri-chain.  Surely, I can complete a sprint triathlon in 2 weeks.  I am sure it will feel like an Ironman to me, but it will only make my next IM in September 2014 taste that much sweeter after being knocked down to the lowest of lows.  Sometimes we need our bodies to take over and hold us back!  But it is dark in this shell and I am going to poke my head out soon, kicking and screaming.

My plan for the next 2 weeks is to try out "working on one of my weakest links", my bike and try and get fit for my first training session with my bicyclologist, Jeff.  I have had to cancel a lot of appointments this month, but if you don't have your health, you simply cannot reap the physical benefits of training.  It is time to put the POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING BACK IN ACTION.

"Let me out of here", the turtle screams.  "I do not like the darkness, that is unless I am running the marathon portion of an Ironman."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment