The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

There is no "I" in TEAM: What it takes to get to the start!

Over the past few weeks, a sudden rise in panic began to set in about my upcoming Ironman with slow race times, sub par training, and gradual increase of overuse symptoms.  It was time to pull out the big guns and take advantage of the services that can help get me to the start line.

Bike:  My coach upped the ante with work to support peak performance by challenging me to once again GET OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE as he introduced me to 4-1 intervals, 4 minutes in zone 4 with 1 minute rest times 12 and empowered me to do this workout 2 times a week!

Massage Therapy:  I had to enlist a massage therapist to work out the kinks, too many areas to mention, but the main culprit being my right achilles.  My new LMT makes me cry and is also making me go outside my comfort zone to break up adhesions and get my tissues more mobile.  I KNEADED this badly!

Y 

Yoga:  Time to get the muscles lengthened in order to handle the daily Ironman workload during the final build phase.  Going to class is forcing me to attend to my bike posture on and off my wheels and end the TUG O WAR going on in my body!




Track:  To toughen me up and basically to toughen me up since I can't seem to get Ironman to cancel the run.  Hopefully, track work will help me RUN THE RUN at Ironman.




Nutrition/Hydration/Heat Management:  A work in progress and taking bits and pieces from professionals and other athletes and finding out what works for me.  I have NOT given up CARBS, because they are my friend the night before a long workout.  I have discovered that Vega Pre Workout Drink seems to be helping me on my bike.  I gave up the salt sticks as I thought they might be making me sick and that I get enough electrolytes in my drinks and food (so far, so good).  I started using Osmo which was recommended by several friends (so far, so good).  I have tried out real foods like nut clusters and figs in addition to Honey Stinger Waffles, chews, and gels (which have been agreeing with my stomach...so far, so good) and adding a little caffeine near the end of a ride or run (so far, so good).  I seem to be faring well with 125 to 150 calories per hour beginning around 90 minutes and then taking in my calories at least 1-2 times per hour.  My body LOVES cold water and ice and if I can put ice down my back that is an extra and effective cooling method.  And ever since I started using Dr. Hyland's anti-cramping tablets, I have not had muscle cramping (knock on wood...not sure if it works or has a placebo effect, but who's counting)

My Village of Friends:  A true tri friend does not let you get away with cutting your workout short and pushes you to push yourself just a little bit further.  These are the people that also pick you up when you are down, push you forward and hold you up when you can't do it for yourself, and who cheer for you all the way until the end.


Family:  Even though there are 5 more weeks, an Ironman cannot be done well without the support of your family.  My brother Scott is going to be my Sherpa at Chattanooga because he knows this too as a 3 time Ironman and he will fill in for my husband who will be doing his own amazing feat.

This week was the bottom of my final build period and it went very well.  I had a shorter long run which I got to enjoy in the rain and challenging work on bike with intervals and hills and a track workout.  I had to swim 4000 in the pool because our lake was closed to do damage from the recent monsoons.  I had a great long ride/run and the bricks are starting to get laid!  I had my best ride working in zone 2 and 3 with an overall average of 17.4 (my IMAZ ave) and averages of 17.9 and 17.8 on loops 3 and 4 out of 5!
Photo: Thanks Todd Martin for the ride....82 miles plus 40 min run....bricks are being layed!
 I attribute the success of this week's training to my team above.  I believe this team is necessary to put in place to get me to the START LINE and then it will be ALL UP TO ME TO GET TO THE FINISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment