The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Heat is On: UNDER PRESSURE!

Image result for pics of sun
Training camp has ended and I am back home in AZ in the heat.  Gone are the training mornings of 50s and now the alarm clock goes off before 4 am to be able to train in temperatures below 90 degrees if the weather gods are on my side.  My body feels the same about the heat as it did before I left, but I have not had any consistent training in these conditions.

Many questions have popped up in my mind after having several reactions to heat including dizziness, nausea, and dry heaving as to when to draw the line and how far to push your body.  I harbor the fear of going down and getting myself into trouble.  I usually try to avoid getting myself into a predicament where I have to call for help, but it has come to that on several occasions in the past.  Then I started questioning how far I would go in a race if I felt impending danger.  Are we all willing to crawl to get to the finish line if that is what it takes?

Responses I got is that I am defeating myself before I even get to the start by having these negative thoughts.  I on the other hand feel like I am preparing myself and coming up with a plan if there is danger.  What will I push through and when would I stop.  I never considered stopping during my first Ironman.  I had a plan for what I would do in different situations.  This sport is surrounded by people who live by mottos like NEVER QUIT and DO EPIC SHIT (you know who you are).  I appreciate learning ways to push through pain and discomfort, but I also have a little voice of experience that knows signs of my systems failing.   How far are you willing to go to get to the finish line?  This may separate me from those in my age group or from reaching my own personal potential as not having the courage or strength to push harder.  I don't like being sick or injured, so I tend to proceed with caution when my body is talking to me.

My body is beginning to send me little messages and I am beginning to feel the pressure when my training does not go as planned and my body is beginning to break down.

My counter tells me I have 63 days until Race Day!  It is hot here.  My mileage is not where I would like it to be.  I am having some foot and Achilles pain.  Sleep is becoming irregular.  I am unproductive after training.  I took the day off to try and calm the inflammation down in my foot and regroup.  When you give up a long workout, panic takes over your body and mind.  I need a good long workout to calm me down, or else I may need a prescription.

I guess we are all entitled to having a panic attack as long as we are not in the water!  Time to take the pressure and use it for fuel.  CHOO CHOO.  ALL ABOARD!


No comments:

Post a Comment