The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer Training Camp: Week 3/THE TOUR

This is the 3rd summer in a row that I have been able to take my training on the road. My son attends a 3 week music camp and we drop him off in Orange County and go north for 2 weeks and then return to Southern California to follow his tour. When you are preparing for an Ironman, everything is planned around your training schedule or else you plug in workouts whenever you can during your travels.
I took a little time out to SAG for my husband's training weekend in Bishop, CA to help him get ready for his big event called THE EVEREST CHALLENGE which is the same weekend as IRONMAN CHATTANOOGA. He was humbled as he attempted and completed 4 of the 6 climbs and questioned his readiness and his ability to come back in 10 weeks and conquer the beast (30,000 feet of climbing, thus the height of Everest which the event is named after). This is outside of most Ironman triathlete's comfort zones, but it was nice to see him experience the trials and tribulations of pushing the limits. He actually made it look easy, but he would tell you it was anything but! My brother Greg was his guide as he has completed the Challenge several times.

I was able to fit a few shorter rides and run in during our time in the Sierra Nevadas on lower lands on beautiful small country rodes with a few hills sprinkled in before heading south. The last night in Bishop, I had to make a decision about registering for the Oceanside 70.3, one of the perks of being part of a big tri club in the Ironman Tri Club competition is early entries to certain races. I just decided I did not have it in me to sign up for another half Ironman distance race before I completed my 2014 race calendar. General registration opened up the next day and as we were making the drive to SoCal, my facebook page was lighting up with announcements of teammates getting into Oceanside. After a few hours on the road, I could not take the feeling of the possibility of being left out and I signed up. (my husband just shook his head as he had to listen to my rationalization of not signing up and then witness me push the button on active.com after I made a public declaration to forego the race).

After surviving the traffic, we checked into our hotel at Newport Beach and ate a delicious pasta dinner. The next morning, I decided to do my long run and would stay along the beach. First I headed south passed 2 piers and to a peninsula until I ran out of road or boardwalk. On my way back, I ran to the end of Balboa Pier and Newport Beach Pier and then I continued past our hotel and continued north toward Huntington Beach Pier. I wanted to reach that pier but they always seem closer then they really are, but I made it to the end of the pier knowing I might have to walk back to the hotel. I ended up running 18 miles which was a few miles longer then I was planning, but I felt pretty good running in cool cloudy humidity with an ocean breeze. I did slow a little bit each hour and especially during the last 3 miles. I was ready to be done, but an elderly women who was walking started running and passed me for a minute and that kind of inspired me to keep going.

We spent the rest of the day hanging out in Santa Monica until my son's concert at a cool little club in Venice called WITZEND. Walking was a good way to prevent my muscles from tightening up.

We were leary about where we would do our long ride the next morning as our options were California Highway 1 or one of the bike trails along a canal. Highway 1 is packed with traffic and some sections through different beach towns were too congested for our comfort level, so we opted for a ride recommended by a local that was on a protected bike path from Dana Point to Oceanside through Camp Pendleton. It was an interesting ride taking us on different paths, local streets with a lot of hills and stop signs and through a military base which was a nice preview for Oceanside 70.3. The way home provided better views of the Pacific Coast and made the irregular ride worth it. It took an extra long time to complete 55 miles, so I still got over 4 hours of riding time in between hills, turns, stop signs, military checkpoints, and wind. Thank goodness there was water on the route as riding in the open sun and humidity took a toll on me that particular day. The other lesson I have learned was to not attempt a long ride the day after a long run which has not worked well for me despite it being recommended by some coaches vs doing bike then run. We were determined to get the bulk of our workouts in during the week so we could spend a nice family weekend together at the end of the Tour.

We got a little beach time in before heading to my son's final concert. The performances were spectacular as usual. It is always difficult for us to say good bye to California and for my son to say good bye to the other students and mentors from camp. It is his “triathlon” and his extended family who speak the same language just as most triathletes have instant connection with one and other. We are so greatful that he has his music family.

We decided to take a quick mountain retreat and skip the beach scene although Jeremy took an interest in learning to surf during camp and got to try it out the last 2 days of camp. Our family prefers the cool pines and although we were all very tired from our tours, we headed to Big Bear Lake, California for one last hurrah! We got a few final workouts in with cooler temperatures including a beautiful bike ride around Big Bear and its sister lake, Baldwin, who was dry, a few runs in the pines, and a swim in the lake. We also tried Stand Up Paddle Boarding for 2 hours which was a blast and hopefully we will add one of those to our toy collection soon!

Now we are heading back home to AZ which I refer to as “the oven” during the summer. I will miss the cooler morning temperatures for the final 10 weeks of Ironman Training. I am sure more trips up north will happen but most days will be spent waking up early trying to beat 100 degree temps.

Summer Training Camp was sweet! We put in some good miles with beautiful scenery from rolling hills in the country to switch backed mountains, redwood forests, lakes, and along beautiful coastal scenes. I am a fortunate triathlete and so very blessed at this moment to have had this opportunity to “tri on tour”. We found more places that we can dream of returning to again.

I am also fortunate that I can go home and focus for ten more weeks on preparation to hop on the train to Chattanooga and be a part of an inauguaral Ironman event. There is still more work to be done, but I return home a little stronger, a little leaner, and more relaxed and refreshed. If there were professional turtle triathletes, I would apply for that job right away. No amount of cash could compensate for all the happiness triathlon brings to my world. Even the hardest day at this job, leaves you with a smile on your face. Keep tri-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment