The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, September 28, 2013

SUPERSTITION: 3rd time: curse or charm!

Do bad things really happen in threes or is the third time really the charm!  Call me superstitious like many triathletes who chose to wear their lucky socks, obsess over every calorie they ingest, and go through training and race day rituals that must be performed to a T for the planets to align in our universe.  My absence from my blogspot over the past month has been a sure indicator about my plans that came crashing down.  My training has been almost non existent over the past few weeks due to a chronic cough and fatigue which was my first strike.  Then as I was finally starting to feel like I could get back in the saddle, I made a wrong turn and my back was in knots, strike two!  I felt doom and gloom hanging over my head as I sat around feeling sorry for myself anxiously awaiting for the third and final strike so I could just get on with my training.  Then I realize how ridiculous this all sounds, when I think about how great the number 3 can be......TIC, TAC, TOE 3 in a row can mean victory; or it can mean TRIATHLON:  swimming, biking, and running which equals HAPPINESS, or it can represent 3 triathlons in a row in a Triple Summer Series.  Maybe 3 really can be great!  I am always looking for the message in everything but if you can put a positive spin on what feels like a curse, you will usually find your lucky charm.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you have been having a tough time my friend...but it all just helps stoke the fire and give you extra motivation. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete