The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

PRs and PWs and PBs and More

It is interesting how the same person can do the same race or the same distance at the same location/or a different location and have a different race.  It is ironic that a personal record can be achieved on the most challenging course and a personal worst can actually be a personal best.

This week was a little rough in that my body is not completely happy.  IRONMANITIS is going around.  Ironmanitis=inflammation of an Ironman or one of their attached body parts.  The effects of Ironman training are setting in and between myself and my teammates it appears that everyone is experiencing some rebelling from their body.  There is a price you pay when you are increasing your distance and so there has been increased stretching, ice, motrin, topical creams, rollers, and massage this week.  My primary area of discomfort involves my arms.  My shoulder girdle and upper arms are tight and achy.  The pain travels around and is mostly in my right arm, but is starting on my left side as well.  I am not certain if this pain is from my aero bars or from swimming or a combination.  Sometimes I feel better when I am moving and other times I reach a point during a workout where the pain gets worse.  My coach decided I should swim and stop when/if I am having pain.  It is so hard to get an IMIT to stop until they complete a workout.  It is a fine balancing act between getting your training in and not aggravating your symptoms or causing a more severe injury.

With that said, I made it to the start line for one last Olympic Triathlon at Tempe Town Lake this morning.  The Heat Miser was planning on attending and so I came armed with salt sticks and electrolytes.  The race was delayed and being in the last wave that meant having to run in higher temperatures.  I really don't buy the reason behind putting the "old ladies" last so we don't get trampled by the men cause I spend a lot of time catching up to the back strokers and doggy paddlers!  It was too hot to wear a wetsuit, so I lost a few minutes on my swim, but I felt ok in the water today.  I definitely get a lot more fatigued without my superpower suit.  I don't have official splits but my watch was at 33plus as I exited the water.  I took a long 3plus minutes to get on my bike and my legs felt heavy.  I took the first few miles easy, got some fluid and nutrition in me and started to pick up the pace.  I was trying to stay hydrated and take in salt to prevent stomach upset and cramping.  I started feeling better and was not really keeping track of my time, but when I looked down at my clock near the end of the bike ride, I noticed I was not in PR range unless I had a really strong run.  I did the best run I could do for what my legs had left in them and with the temperatures rising.  My goal turned from PR to let's run steady and beat the sun.  My body is slowly adapting to the heat.  I was happy not to have any stomach problems today.  I took 2 small cups of water by mouth and over head each mile along with a cup of ice that went down my back, in my hands and in my mouth.  It was enough to cool my body down and let me run the whole 10K.  Ofcourse the questions pop up in your mind as to how you are going to start running after 112 miles on the bike and keep running.  It was good practice on staying in the game.  My calves were starting to cramp during the last mile or so and when I tried to pick up the pace, it was a tug o war between muscle groups.  I have been able to shorten my stride and slow down to ward off the full spasm, but I need to find away to keep the cramps out of my body so I can run during IM.  The last thing I want is cramping before mile 6!  In the end, my time was my PW or Personal Worst, but I felt like it was a PB or Personal Best because I was able to run the course today and I was not feeling sick in the heat....so I was satisfied with the progress made under today's conditions.  My PR was early this summer in Altitude and much cooler weather, so I am going to happily race more in the PINES.  This race is symbolic for me in many ways saying my good-byes to AZ and Tempe Town Lake.  I will conquer this lake before we move to CA!

This week was one of the easier training weeks that we have had.  I looked at it like it was a gift or a vacation because the real work is about to begin with the longest training days to come with a 6000 swim, 7 hr bike and 20 mile run over the next 8 weeks and the part I look forward to will be the TAPER.

Every day is a new day in training and racing and there are too many factors to consider, but there is always some lesson to learn and improvement to make whether you are chasing after your Personal Record and maybe some days your Personal Worst was actually your Personal Best.

All I know is that I need to go out and buy some DUCT TAPE to hold myself together or maybe in this case SUPER GLUE.

No comments:

Post a Comment