The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Friday, May 4, 2012

INSPIRATION

in•spi•ra•tion (nsp-rshn) n. 1. a. Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity. b. The condition of being so stimulated. 2. An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention. 3. Something, such as a sudden creative act or idea, that is inspired. 4. The quality of inspiring or exalting: a painting full of inspiration. 5. Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind. 6. The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs. What is INSPIRATION? Nobody chooses to do an Ironman without some. Inspiration is what drives a person to perform an act with passion. The inhalation of air into the lungs is key as well for endurance events (just saying). In my work as a pediatric physical therapist, I am inspired every day by the children and their families that I work with as they are faced with daily challenges at all different levels. I am able to draw on my work experiences to find strength to help me achieve challenging goals. When I am experiencing a physical challenge, I think of how my discomfort is temporary, transient and just a step into another state of consciousness while others have faced so much more. In the past as I get into my rhythm during a race, I invite my little angels on my shoulder and together we fly. This weekend in particular I am taking a special little boy and his family on my journey during my race as I hold a piece of them in my heart. This family has inspired me from the day I met them as they took some devastating news about their child's condition and have surrounded themselves with positive energy. If I could bottle up their love they have for their child, I could complete 1000 Ironmen. I have so much admiration, respect, and love for this family as they inspire me daily to appreciate the time that we have, the body we were housed in, and the people that surround us. I ASPIRE to be more like them as they INSPIRE me. This weekend I TRI for them and I will always put this little guy on my shoulders with my other special friends and we will fly together. Remember, TURTLES CAN FLY……with a little help from their friends.

1 comment:

  1. No doubt about it...IM so as much a mental challenge as a physical one. I'll be taking Coach Scott with me in spirit to every race this year and I'm sure thinking about him during the race will inspire me to get to that finish line. Good luck in your race this weekend.

    ReplyDelete