The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

IM Pre-test Completed

Two Olympic Triathlons down for 2012.  Consider this part of the pre-test for the Ironman Season.  With 3 months of professional training, VO2max testing, 2 olympic triathlons, upgraded equipment, IM training is well under way.  I never had any intention of making this so scientific, but rather a test of my mental and physical potential.  You get a taste of triathlon and it just makes you hungry for more.  Beware if you ever try it as triathlon has strong addictive powers!  Even when you experience the emotional roller coaster of pushing past discomfort or even surrendering to it at times, you will start to wonder if you could have pushed harder and what you can do next time to overcome obstacles you encountered.  The drive never leaves you at the end and there are always lingering questions swimming in your mind WHAT IF or HOW CAN I or WHAT WILL IT TAKE....the NEXT TIME.  When they announce the age range from 10 to 71, you hope that you will sustain the drive and the good health to enjoy the sport for many more years to come.  You will be in awe of the 10 year old who holds the future of the sport and the 71 year old who paved the way.  I LOVE TRIATHLON.

Ok, so  yesterday maybe I did not love it during the run when my feet, toes, and back were cramping and my stomach was in knots.  If only I could take last races run and combine it with this weeks swim, bike, and transition times.  How do you hit everything just right on the day?  My history is one of heat intolerance and I have consistently had issues in heat and humidity.  So one puzzle piece to figure out, though the chances of weather being in my favor for IMAZ are good which is one reason I chose this race.

The morning started off well.  I ate lighter the day before and for the first time before a race, my stomach was calm.  It was still a little bit cooler in the mornings in AZ, but the highs were supposed to reach mid 90s.  We found out that it was wetsuit legal by only 2 degrees so we donned our suits.  Then there was a problem out on the course with road closures not being completed so they delayed the start of the race by atleast 30 minutes.  I always have to start in the last wave being female and over 40....so that means it is going to be a hotter race for us old ladies!

My swim was about the same and I did better in my first transition onto the bike and I clumsily put my bike gloves on as I tried to ride at the same time (don't like to ride without them).  Scottie performed well in his first event.  (my new bike).  My bike time improved from 16.5 mph ave to 17.9 albeit it was a different course shaving off about 8 min off my bike time.  I did experience some back discomfort again and tried to work on my technique.  I can feel the power when I am able to pull up on the bottom part of the circle, but find that I cannot sustain that motion for very long.  I did love standing up on Scottie and that was when I felt like I was flying (as well as passing a few souls on the hills).  I was happy when I got off my bike and knew I could set a PR with a good run (I was 10 min ahead from last race), however, when I started running, I did not have much left in the engine, so I made it my goal to just go slow and try to run the whole thing.  It was a different run and I was just not feeling well.  I had cramps right below my chest to start and then my toes, feet, outside of my left calf and my back started cramping.  Running slow was sustainable, but I progressively got tighter and I was just looking for mile marker 4, then 5.  I bargained with myself to get to five and then promised myself I could walk.  When I hit the 5 mile marker, if I could have ran a 10 min pace, I would have broken 3 hours, but my spirit was broke (not shattered) despite all my mental chanting and I surrendered to the discomfort and would run 2 light posts and walk 1.  I was able to run straight for about the last 1/4 mile.  The cramping lasted all day despite taking in a lot of electrolytes.  I have a lot to work on with my fuel efficiency and nutrition.

My overall time was about 2 minutes faster than 3 weeks ago, despite a much slower run.  If you multiply 3 hours by 4, you get a 12 hour Ironman which gives me 5 more hours to slow the pace down.  A lot is going to happen in the next 6 months.  The mid season test will take place in Flagstaff at the Mountain Man Triathlon in August.  Oh so much to learn and so much to improve on.  I tried to imagine IM during the race.  It is still a bit much to fathom.  So going to take a few naps today and enjoy a few days off before the turtle is back at it.  SLOW AND STEADY NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Beth....you really showed some grit by hanging in there and finishing. I've heard so many people tell me that nutrition is the 4th discipline of triathlon and it really can make or break your race. I'm hoping I can use Boise next month to test out my plan.

    ReplyDelete