The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

My New Ride: I'm in Love!

My new bike finally arrived!  I am calling the new Scott Foil 20: "Scottie".   I picked him up on Thursday and rode home 3 miles from the shop.  It is like being born again as I took my first pedals.  I took one look at Scottie and you would think I would have just embraced him right away.  I was more relieved I did not have to climb up a ladder to get on.  I felt a little bit shy and a little worried that his handlebars appeared so far away.  I measured the reach and it was exactly the same as Chamele's.  The most telling thing was when I went to lift him over my head and he almost flew out of my arms.  I looked him over from bar to wheel like a teenage boy checks out his first love be it a car or a girl.  After visiting Jeff my personal bicyclologist (fitter), he rotated the bars, lowered the stem by taking out 2 rings, moved the seat forward, adjusted my cleats, and gave me a few more tips for pedaling, position, riding the drops and standing.  Then we put Scottie on the scale and he weighed in at 16.6 lbs with pedals and 2 water sidecage water bottle holders.  The wheels weighed over 6 lbs. and we talked about the potential for getting even lighter with race wheels.  Then Jeff sent me on my way to get acquainted with Scott for a month and then we will revisit seat, aerobar options, and wheels as my fitness improves. 

I decided to forgo our group ride and took Scottie out for 3 hours this morning. 

Chamele, YOU'RE FIRED!  Scottie is the new CBE (chief bike executive) of my IM training.  Well, I won't let my purple pal go so easily.  She has brought me to this point and has been a reliable training partner, so I am giving her a new job as trainer buddy and back up bike.

I set out at the crack of dawn.  All I can say is BETTER, BETTER, BETTER....better shifters, better brakes, better handling on turns, and lighter and faster on the hills both up and down where I noticed it the most.  I was able to keep a more consistent cadence up hill and the turtle felt like she was flying on the down.  It seemed to handle well in the wind.

Areas of need:  Still had some issues with foot pain, but Jeff adjusted my left cleat and talked about how I was distributing my weight through the cycle and I was able to shift the weight more posterior in my foot on the upswing which seemed to resolve the problem.  I was trying to find my sweetspot on the extra firm seat that came with Scottie and in the end I think it provided more proprioceptive input to keep my core active.  The verdict is still out there on the seat and will take some time.  I felt more comfortable being a little lower on the bars and definitely in the drops (yeah!) and did better with standing for short periods.  I was having a little back pain at times, but I had that on my other bike as well and I think everything left to fix is related to my form and getting a better motor program hard wired in my brain.

I AM IN LOVE with SCOTTIE.

1 comment:

  1. Yippee....congratulations on the new ride. I'm sure by November you too will be like old friends. So glad you found the perfect bike for you :-)

    ReplyDelete