The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Big Sigh! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

I can only imagine how good the end of an Ironman will taste.  I am always so happy when the week is over.  Most people look forward to relaxing and kicking back when the weekend rolls around...that is unless you are a triathlete.  There is no partying late at night and no sleeping in.  There is usually a 4 am wake up.  Friday consists of a team swim and then breakfast to rev up the team spirit and reflect on the past week and plan for the weekend ahead.  Saturday is usually the long bike ride and by Sunday you actually could sleep in if you had the time, but up again for a long run and a swim.  This weekend we substituted Splash and Dash for our Sunday run and swim, but the trick was somehow you needed to get your long mileage in.....so a group of us met at 5 am and did 8.5 miles (we were a half mile short, but who's counting and we needed time to get to Spash and Dash).  Next we did a 2000 meter swim in Tempe Town Lake followed by a 5K run.  My swim time was about 1:40 slower than my last 2000 meter OWS, but I cut myself some slack after biking 3 hours the day before and running 8.5 miles right before the event.  Eventhough my legs were crying out ENOUGH ENOUGH, I smiled inside and thought this is great practice for running on those tired legs (Ironman is always lurking in the back of my mind...it never leaves me).  It is all about rehearsal...practice, practice, practice.

Now the best part of the weekend is being done.  Time for a nap and a day off.  Mondays are no longer something to dread, but a day to relax and recover.  I live for Mondays now.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you -sounds like you had a very solid workout weekend. I squashed all my workouts into Friday and Saturday so I could have Sunday off and I was giddy about it. Nothing like sleeping in :-)

    ReplyDelete