The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Out of Words

 Image result for pics of words
Seems odd not to have some great story to share or lessons that were learned this week.  I am just about out of words.  In 1 week from today I will hopefully be close to crossing the finish line at my second Ironman.  The taper has been on, and although I have not put in a lot of time this week, my body feels tired.  Hopefully a few more days of rest will do the trick.

I surrounded myself with support this week making time for a few social gatherings with triathlon friends to help shake the jitters out.  The first hurdle was prepping and sending my bike off to Chattanooga ahead of me.  There is something unsettling about handing your bike off to a total stranger who is going to load it onto a truck and you trust that it is going to be waiting for you at the transition in another state.

Once those nerves were eased, I took a final open water swim where I get to share a ride out with seasoned Ironman veterans who enjoy sharing their stories and tricks of the trade that they have learned along the way.

A lot of finals this week including final long run, final ride on my racing bike, final track workout out, final open water swim and final time hanging out with my triathlon club at our local race.

What do people say to a triathlete who is about to get on an airplane and conquer their second triathlon.  The most common questions are:
1.  Are you ready?
2.  How is your taper?
3.  Have you got your race plan all worked out?

And the only thing I can say is
1.  READY OR NOT
2.  I AM TOO TIRED TO GO THROUGH TAPER TRAUMA
3.  AND I HAVE NOT COMMITTED TO ONE STRATEGY BUT AM TRYING TO BRING AS MANY OPTIONS with ME for race day including clothes and nutrition and mental strategies (tricks to pull out of my hat)

It truly has not hit me what I am in for next Sunday.  I know that I am going to swim, bike and run 144.6 miles in 15-16 hours in conditions that could be anywhere from humid, sunny, cloudy, windy or wet.  I cannot really imagine what that is going to feel like in 7 days.

I am certain when I step into the Arena at the AWAY game in Tennessee for a few days of triathlon celebration, it will be filled with triathlete camaraderie and inspiration with moments of euphoria to despair.  This is the grand finale to my 50th birthday party and I can cry if I want to, but hopefully most of the tears will be of joy and I will come out on the other side a stronger, better person.

Until then train, rest, and compress!  See you at the rolling start at the Tennesse River!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment