The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Racing After Ironman. A triathlete never stops learning: What Not to Do.

It is almost 5 months post Ironman and today was my first big race of the season.  Although, I have increased my mileage over the past few months, I am not even close to the condition that I was in last November and still carrying excess post race weight (I just don't understand why I still can't eat 3000 calories a day anymore).  It seemed reasonable to pick the Vineman 70.3 Race in July for my "A Race" this year to take a break from the intense training and still reap most of the benefits of endurance training.  But, something comes over a triathlete when they start surfing the web for triathlons.  The adrenaline starts pumping through their body and goes into their clicking hand which signs you up for another race before you can think about whether you have the time, energy or cash to train and travel to the event.  I tried to exhibit some self control and I did not do anything impulsive like sign up for another Ironman, especially the day before when they had priority registration for participants.  Who is insane enough to commit to another Ironman before they truly get to experience it first hand.  (well, I know a few people, but believe it or not my rational side took over).

After 2 months of taking it easy and trying to catch up on all the parts of life that get neglected during Ironman training, I started planning for this year's training and what races would be good to help prepare me for my A Race.  I really did not desire to do another triathlon on my home turf at Tempe Town Lake and had decided to forgo our local spring race along with the cost being the breaking point.  So I signed up for ITU in San Diego which is supposed to be fun for watching the pros race and would be my first ocean swim (in the bay) and Deuces Wild (which I did last year and loved).   When I attended my first meeting at One Multisports, they have a raffle at their monthly meeting for those who know me well, know the only way I win prizes in triathlon is at the RAFFLE.  And I scored big....an entry into LEADMAN, a new event that was added as part of the Lifetime Fitness Leadman Series.  It was free and my training partner was registered, so I said I will just do it as a TRAINING.

So 2 nights before the race, I woke up wretching and was down for the count for 24 hours.  Not sure if it was something I ate or a little bug, but it really wiped me out.  The bed rest did wonders and I felt like I could at least make it to the start and probably complete the swim and the bike.  This event had unusual distances.  It was a 1.5 mile swim, 68 mile bike, and an 8 mile run.  The swim went ok, but my time was much slower than my Ironman pace and I felt tired.  I could feel the extra weight I was carrying even in the water.  I was very slow in transition as I just felt like taking my time because I was just training you know.  Then, I wanted to make the cut off for the bike so if I chose to run I would be allowed.  Out of transition, my legs were tired and I coached myself to just go easy on the first of 4 bike loops.  The next loop I seemed to be able to pick up the pace a little bit and by the 3rd and 4th loops I was planning an out and a DNF.  My stomach was not cooperating and whatever I tried to put it in tried to come back up.  It is hard to say if it was reminents from being sick or from the heat.  My legs grew heavy and I could not maintain my pace.   I completed the bike with time to spare but I noticed a lot of athletes with medals around their necks and the only way I could get one was to go out on an 8 mile run (or walk!).  I decided to go for the medal because what would I tell my club who gave me the free entry and what would I write in my blog if I had quit.  My stomach had settled a bit and I had prepared a camelback with ice in the morning so I could sip water and did not have to wait for the aide stations during the run.  I had a hard time running and I was desperately hoping I would bump into someone that wanted to walk to make the 8 miles more tolerable.  First I met a lady from my club and she was hoping to run and walk through the aide stations and I just could not keep up.  Then I caught up to a guy who would become my new racing buddy for the next 2 hours who was cramping so he was walking and intended to keep walking.  His name was Mike and I learned a lot about him on our long walk.  This course was nicer than most Tempe Courses as it was on a trail through Papago Park and it would have been a great run if it started at 6 am before a long swim and bike instead of at noon in 90 degree temps (at least that is what it felt like).  Those athletes still on the course were all struggling so it was anything but lonely.  By mile 4, we decided to run/walk the second half a testimate to the great people you meet in triathlon that sometimes people are willing to help each other and sacrifice a little of their own race.  We supported and encouraged each other to the very end and crossed together.  Thanks Mike, you helped me become a LEADMAN!

Today's race was one of those notorious mental battles.  The thoughts that popped into my head:
1.  Why would I put myself through this again?
2.  What was I thinking?
3.  I am just training, so it is ok to skip the run.
4.  Why did I let myself gain all my IM weight back?
5.  I will just do one more loop and then stop.
6.  I will shorten the last loop and let them know I did not finish.
7.  What will my friends that I encourage think if I DNF?
8.  What will my new tri club think of me if I DNF?
9.  I am going to throw up.
10.  Why was I able to push myself through an Ironman?  How did I run 26.2 miles after swimming 2.4 miles and riding 112 miles and today I could not even run 8 miles?

So overcoming the mental battle (though I would have been perfectly fine and forgiven myself for stopping at any time), I think there were some lessons learned here.
1.  Perhaps, start your season with an Olympic distance before taking longer distances on
2.  Perhaps train in the climate that the race will take place in (though it only just started getting hot here)
3.  Don't let yourself put all your weight back on because it is really hard to move
4.  Forgive yourself for not being fully prepared, not having a good day, and learn from the race and move on!
5.  Remember you are just here to have fun, besides you probably won't win anything unless there is a raffle.

THANKS ONE MULTISPORT for the free entry. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job Beth. Way to tough it out and make it across the finish line. You sure are one tough little turtle.

    ReplyDelete