The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Butterflies, Belief and Dilemmas of an Ironman

So here I sit almost 24 hours away from race time.  So many athletes have had BUTTERFLIES in their stomaches all week.  I have felt calm, but know that it is probably the calm before the storm.  Went to the big Welcome Dinner and Athlete's Meeting Last Night with a sea of 2500 triathletes.  Took in inspirational stories of different athletes and last minute instructions about the weekend festivities.  For an athlete that enjoys solitude on her swim, bike and run workouts, this is not that type of event.  I will soon have 2499 new friends racing by my side for under 17 hours.  I will share this journey with them, though will be in motion with my favorite trio once again:  "me, myself, and I".....we will never be lonely as the ones we love and the ones that love us will be by our side and along the route.  We could not do this without our fans, our cheerleaders or our loved ones.

As I was walking past the finish line on my way back to my car last night, I thought how out of reach this goal used to feel.  I no longer feel that IRONMAN is so big, because over the last year of pushing back the wall and the boundaries, you find the BELIEF that anything is possible.  And you have to put your faith that your body now knows what to do and that your mind can keep up with your body.

That is now not to say that us athletes don't still face many important dilemmas about what to wear, what to put in our special needs bags, what to eat before, during and after, what time to get to the race, and whether it would be bad luck to purchase your Ironman souvenirs before you complete the race.  At least this will give me something to occupy my time until the cannon goes off tomorrow.

A big shout out once again to all the people who made getting to the start possible for this turtle who has earned the name IRONTURTLE.  Thanks to my coaches, my family, my friends, my teammates, my blog buddy, my bike fitter/trainer, my massage therapist, my angels, and my body, mind and soul and the hard shell that holds them together.  It truly does take a village to raise a triathlete.

1 comment:

  1. Beth I am teary reading this final pre IM post from you. It is sad in a way that this journey has to end, but what a great end it will be with Mike Reilly calling your name. Look out Ironman....the turtle is coming !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete