The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Monday, June 25, 2012

12 MONTHS GESTATION...in the 2nd "TRI"mester!

I can't think of any other time besides when you are pregnant (trust me guys), that people look at you with such awe when you tell them you are training for an Ironman.  Suddenly people stop and treat you like royalty.  They want to give you water, rub your feet, and fluff up your cushion (or maybe your bike seat).  They offer you carbs, electrolytes, salt tablets, gels, and even fig newtons!  Those who have already earned the title of IM or have some type of knowledge or expertise in one of the three disciplines have lots of advice to offer.  Everyone knows how to become a triathlete!  Besides, you stagger around with that glow after a workout.  The only difference is that your stomach is getting flatter instead of fatter.  People still reach out to touch your muscles in lieu of a kicking baby inside your womb, sometimes without even asking invading your sacred Irontemple you are constructing through endless workouts.  You surrender your body to the sport and the fans.

Triathlon nor pregnancy does not come without discomfort which are just small inconveniences to get to the birth of an Ironman.  It is the little things that can take their toll at times, that can bring you to tears and test out your modesty and humility to prepare you for the day.  After a while, you no longer care if your teammates see you sweat, bleed, cry, fart, burp, barf, chafe, or see your sacred private parts. 

Your body is in a constant state of imbalance as the nutrients are being sucked out to fuel your run, bike and swim.  You are constantly reading and asking others "what to do" about the nausea, cramping, chaffing, bleeding, and blisters that are by-products of long distance along to the latest and greatest accessories and products to make this journey more bearable.

If I could bottle up the salt and sweat that drains off my body each day, I would be rich.  Instead, I am helping all the companies that produce salt tablets, muscle gylcogen and carb replacment and hydration and nutrition products stay in business.   I am going to have a new nickname soon like "Salty Senorita" or "Salt Mine".  I am also contributing to the company that makes the GLIDE sticks to prevent chaffing which occurs in many cracks and crannies all over my body that produce friction when in motion.  The only other solution for that is to "TRI" naked.  My compression calf sleeves rub the back of my ankles raw and so I am keeping the BAND-AIDE company in business too.  I am trying to learn how to replenish 16 ounces of water, muscle glycogen, and salt loss each hour without vomitting.  I am still believing with all the nausea I am having the only way to go is an IV.

So, here we are in the second "TRI"mester, working this out.  Getting stronger, leaner, faster (?), and more fit to handle the final trimester where we will be going even longer, farther and faster.  But, nobody said this type of pregnancy would be easy.  Overall, it is a "feel good" journey with some small pains on the side.  The "glow" and the extreme tiredness are going to be worth the day this Ironman is born.  Besides, how often do you get the privelege of training for 12 months (ok so it is slightly longer than the pregnancy where you get a little alien at the end).  Conception can be tricky, you have to be financially stable and it helps to be in a solid relationship to support your efforts.  Once you successfully sign up, there is lots of preparation to do.  Shopping, training, and planning and more shopping.  As you get closer, you start to nest, getting everything in order.  One goes in with a "birth plan", but having back up plans will help get you through the day.  Nobody really knows what is going to happen, but training and preparation are the key to the end.  For some, this will be a once in a lifetime experience.  The birth of my child was that for me and now I have to remember that this gestation is a GIFT and I am fortunate to be on this journey and for my "TRI" support team including my coaches, my bike fitter/coach who I call my bicycologist, teammates and fellow triathletes, and all my family and friends.  I will enjoy the royal treatment while I have the opportunity and go back to being a meer mortal when it is done and then I will be giving the next generation advice.  146 days until the birth of another IRONMAN.  Watch out they are replicating every where all over the world!  If you don't use protection while training, it could happen to you!

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny...I'd never thought of it like a preganancy before :-)

    ReplyDelete