The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Question of the Day:

Question of the Day:
Are pain and ectasy really just the same sensation, emotion or chemical reaction?  In my opinion, the distinction between the two is our perception at any given moment. 

These were my thoughts as I finished up my run and my week of triathlon training at a moment when pain and ectasy seemed to come together.  Our mind has the power to interpret how we feel at any given moment.  I think when the final workout comes around each week, there is a sense of accomplishment, another checkmark on your list, and knowing you earned a day of rest and recouperation.
Canyon Lake Photo Galleries
This week culminated in a 3 hour bike ride and open water swim at Canyon Lake which is located in the Superstition Mountains in AZ.  The ride is a nice climbing workout and I was able to reach the end of the road 2 times (last time I did not quite make it back up to the top on the second try).  Though still challenging, I could feel that my body was stronger than last time and I was happy to not be the lone turtle and had a  few riders around me for most of the ride.  Turtles are not very social, but company is really nice when you are in a tough situation.  The weather turned warm this weekend and temperatures were probably in the 80s during the ride.  This made it less traumatic to get into the cold water afterwards for an open water swim.  The water was probably in the 50s and I was fine in my sleeveless wetsuit since the sun was shining down on us.  The hardest part was at the end when my coach was giving us some tips and we were just standing there in the frigid water.  It was reassuring to know that I probably can use my sleeveless suit for Ironman.  I like having full range of motion in the shoulder.  I was hopeful that the cold water would be therapeutic and prevent muscle soreness after this ride, but a few hours later all I could think about was how am I going to run 8 miles tomorrow. Tomorrow came and I made it through the run.  I know in another month, I will be looking back and it will be easier to run on Sundays after riding on Saturdays or atleast one can hope.

This week I also felt like I am inside of the book, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN (that I reviewed in an earlier blog).  I am really enjoying getting to know and share this experience with my team mates and learning about each one.  Every person has a story to tell and our Ironman story is just beginning.  I have to stop myself and look at the calendar.  239 days to go.  So many hours to create some really good material for our book, but so little time to get it all in! I am not sure which is better, reading each chapter or getting to the end of the book!  Time to put my pen down for the moment.

Stay tuned for more turtle tales!

1 comment:

  1. I had the exact same thought....at about 2 hours and 27 minutes into my 3 hr and 30 min trainer ride yesterday. ( Temps were around 34 degrees and I just couldn't will myself to ride outside). I think that feeling of euphoria comes when you can see the end in sight. Great job making it up the mountain twice.I think this turtle is getting strong and speedy :-)

    ReplyDelete