The Happy Turtle's Journey to the Start: An Ironman Tale

For those of you that believe that you have to be sleek, slim, cut and fast to be an Ironman, think again! Some of our bodies just don’t fit that mold but we have the guts to set our intention, make a plan and see it to the end. In my heart, I believe that turtles CAN fly! The turtle society is not just challenged by fitness, but by the time limits imposed by race companies insisting we keep up with the status quo so they can get to the bars before last call. Well, I suppose there has to be a cut off or us turtles might be out there for days enjoying the sun on our backs. Some stare at the turtles on the course wondering why it even embarks on such a journey and what purpose it has. It is old, weathered, wrinkled, and slow no matter how you twist it. I just know that you can train a turtle and the turtle might teach you a thing or two along the way. We are old and wise and we have a shell that cannot be broken. We want a taste of victory just like our other friends. I cannot find another creature that I am most like. Join me on my journey from start to end to help the Happy Turtle win again!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

42 Weeks and Counting.....

In 42 weeks from today, I will hopefully be just starting to run a marathon after making the swim and bike cut offs in the 2012 AZ Ironman.  Have just been taking it easy and not pushing myself too hard the past 2 months in anticipation of the intensive training regimen.  It is still hard to fathom how much work there is to do over the next 42 weeks.  I begin training with racelab this week, so I will be trying to get used to a new schedule and taking direction from a coach.  Should be very interesting to say the least.  Instead of my traditional workouts this week, I got on the trail and did some hiking and trail runs.  I assisted leading a 13 mile hike yesterday in lieu of my long run and it was nice to get back in nature and to do something I love before buckling down.  Today I ended up just needing a day of mental and physical silence.  Sometimes you just have to turn the volume down and just be.  I imagine 17 hours of just being on November 19th.  People will be passing by me left and right, but I will just "be".  Crowds will be cheering up and down the course, but I will just "be".  My body will be cold, warm, hot, then cold again, but I will just "be".  My stomach will be in knots, gurgling, hungry, nauseous, gurling, and hungry again, but I will just "be".  I will have sore muscles, cramps, elation, out of body experiences, and more cramps, but I will just "be".  I will cross the line and hear the muffled sounds of "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".  I will be happy and hugging all the blurred figures around me and then I will collapse and need to lie on my side for minutes or hours.  I will wake the next day feeling proud of my accomplishment, it will be hard to move and walk.  The memory will fade each day.

This is what I imagine it to be.  So I just savor each minute of training, racing, carbo loading, preparation, blood, sweat and tears, because the 42 weeks will go by very quickly and then 17 hours to get the job done and then onto other things.  A medal on my shelf as a reminder.

2 comments:

  1. Yes....we definitely have to enjoy the journey. The training takes months but the race is over in a day. I'm headed to Arizona in Nov too. Looking forward to following your journey this year :-)

    ReplyDelete